2017 Gosling Hatch a long!!

Pics
Yes I know what you mean! Its horrible to think you might be tossing a good egg! I go with my gut instinct really. I think you know what your gut instinct is from the sounds of things.
Also youd kick yourself if it poisoned the rest wouldnt you?
I always do a float test before chucking a hatching egg, it usually confirms things for me. You could check like that first? here's a link on how if you're not sure
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...iability-for-late-or-overdue-hatching.383525/
OMG, it was so bad! I got it out before explosion, and am so glad I did. So it looks like 3 goslings are still growing well, I cannot wait! Next year will have Sebbie eggs hopefully. I've got 2 maybe 3 about 5 or 6 weeks old. I think they are a bit older, but the farmer I bought them from probably knows better. They are in an awkward stage, so 1 may be a Pomeranian. (Which is what I paid for).

OMG, it was so bad! I got it out before explosion, and am so glad I did. So it looks like 3 goslings are still growing well, I cannot wait! Next year will have Sebbie eggs hopefully. I've got 2 maybe 3 about 5 or 6 weeks old. I think they are a bit older, but the farmer I bought them from probably knows better. They are in an awkward stage, so 1 may be a Pomeranian. (Which is what I paid for).
Ooh how exciting! Everyone has such beautiful breeds I feel like I should branch out into something new at some point...I have breed envy! My chickens are boring old Warrens and are just brown, and the geese will be Embdens. I do rather like the idea Sebbies but I'll have to wait now!

I'm so pleased you dealt with the stinker. I had one last year and didn't realise it was weeping and it infected the whole batch. I lost the lot because it had oozed into the water channel...yuk. I'm much more experienced now and know to chuck them!

What incubator do you have? Are you hand turning? And humidity? I'm so curious to see how others do it cos this is my first time you see!

It's so exciting tho! I can't stop candlng and watching them moving around in there! :clap

Good news! I was able to find a hovabator with egg turner for $40! The lady was going to let me borrow it but for $40 I might as well just buy it and keep it handy.

TK10, glad you tossed the stinker. I've only had one blow (and same as Nannette, I just didn't get it in time)

How often are you candling nannette? Any pictures to share?

I forgot to share my picture!!!

Look how long these eggs are?

Attachments

• IMG_9139.JPG
    IMG_9139.JPG
    304.3 KB · Views: 1
Good news! I was able to find a hovabator with egg turner for $40! The lady was going to let me borrow it but for $40 I might as well just buy it and keep it handy.

TK10, glad you tossed the stinker. I've only had one blow (and same as Nannette, I just didn't get it in time)

How often are you candling nannette? Any pictures to share?
Oh that's great news about the hobovator!! $40 sounds like a great price too, well done! Will you just keep them in there for the whole thing now then, instead of moving them? They're quite big eggs aren't they?
20170528_132328.jpg
20170528_132807.jpg
20170528_132529.jpg

I candled yesterday and saw lots of movement in all of them and bigger air cells. Ill post the pics and see what you think.

How do you think the air cells look? ok?

Air cells look good to me! They won't start dipping until the end of I remember correctly! That's so neat that you've got babies in there <3

I'm going to use the hova until the air cells stabilize (should be Day 15 or so) then they will go into the brinsea because I trust that incubator more to hold a steady temperature.

I'm nervous to dry run the eggs but it seems like without water my humidity in the incubator stays around 30-35%

What are you keeping humidity at?

This is my first time hatching also. Humidity is running at 40% I'm mainly doing dry but spray and cool the eggs once a day. I'm hand turning at least 3 times a day, sometimes more (like on the weekends). This is a little nerve wracking, but exciting too. Good luck incubating yours!

I really hope your air cells stabilize. I was lucky to find my Sebbie from a local farmer/breeder.

Sounds like a good plan WRVgirl. I think if you know and trust an incubator it's probably best to stay with that one.

I had my incubator running dry but the eggs seemed to be losing loads and load of moisture and, as I'm trying this weighing method, I've had to up it. I really hope it works and I'm not drowning them all.

tk10 I think we are both on the same track with turning and spraying. I was nervous about handling them so much but I rather enjoy it now. I'm really bonding with my eggs!!:lol:

Good luck to you both too! It's so nice doing it together...it's my first time in a hatchalong!

Picked up he incubator and cleaned/sanitized it.

Have it running now to make sure it keeps temperature!

Will candle the eggs again tonight and see where we are at.

Back
Top Bottom