2019 Emu Hatch-A-Long

I am in Northwest Florida. We have a pair of emu and want very much to hatch some eggs. Our boy has tried twice previously to set on eggs without success. He stuck with it the whole time with no reward. :( I thought it might be due to the humidly level here, but someone told me that several folks have been successful at hatching this way in Florida. As far as an incubator, all I have is a less expensive one and a large fridge that was converted into one. I have had good success with duck, chicken and geese eggs but I know emu are very different! Anyone else had success doing it the old fashioned way in Florida...or other warm, humid climate? He lost his mate last year and has just been introduced to a new one recently...which immediately spurred the mating process and her laying. She is laying now. Would love any advice!

I am in Northwest Florida. We have a pair of emu and want very much to hatch some eggs. Our boy has tried twice previously to set on eggs without success. He stuck with it the whole time with no reward. :( I thought it might be due to the humidly level here, but someone told me that several folks have been successful at hatching this way in Florida. As far as an incubator, all I have is a less expensive one and a large fridge that was converted into one. I have had good success with duck, chicken and geese eggs but I know emu are very different! Anyone else had success doing it the old fashioned way in Florida...or other warm, humid climate? He lost his mate last year and has just been introduced to a new one recently...which immediately spurred the mating process and her laying. She is laying now. Would love any advice!

Good luck! I don't have any advice about dealing with the high humidity as far as natural hatching under the male goes, but I hope someone can chime in on that for you.

Eggs are in and incubating away :) I started them on 1/18. I'll be doing their first weight loss check in when I turn them again in a few hours.

incubating eggs.jpg

Don't mind the temperature on that little hygrometer in the corner, it's wrong. I only use it to monitor the humidity.

Back
Top Bottom