2019 Emu Hatch-A-Long

Pics
In bad news on my end, I think Egg E is bad. It's never lost enough weight even when running totally dry, and as I've been turning it the last several times, I swore I could feel its contents sloshing, which is no good. Yesterday, I actually heard it slosh. It's got no bad odor and it's not leaking or anything, so I'm letting it ride for now, but I'm pretty sure it's a bad egg.
:(:(:(:(:(:(

Yeah, I think if I find that it's not alive in a couple weeks I'm going to crack it open because I'm really wondering what the heck is going on in there that it can make a sloshing sound.
Um. . you might wanna stand back and throw a rock at it or something. I cracked a bad duck egg and it was pretty much like a little exploding stink bomb. And it was a late quitter. .I can't imagine a early quitting sloshing emu egg blowing up on you! :pop
Please video tape this! :lau:pop

Oh no, sorry to hear about the bad egg Pyxis! :( If you decide to open it I hope it isn't too messy.

@matt swenson Are your emus vocal? Females makes low drumming sounds and males, grunting sounds. The female will strut around with an "inflated throat" and try to impress the male with her size and drumming during courtship. If the male is interested, he'll closely follow the female until she lies down and they mate. Emus also tend to be the most sexually active at night, but I've seen my emus mate during the day as well.

The female missing feathers around the neck or base of the neck is a sign they're mating. At the end the male will "bite" the female and some feathers may go loose. If the male emu is "behind her on his knees" that definitely indicates to me they've been mating.

In bad news on my end, I think Egg E is bad. It's never lost enough weight even when running totally dry, and as I've been turning it the last several times, I swore I could feel its contents sloshing, which is no good. Yesterday, I actually heard it slosh. It's got no bad odor and it's not leaking or anything, so I'm letting it ride for now, but I'm pretty sure it's a bad egg.
Oh man I am SO sorry :( Bummer. If you do crack it open, be sure and take pics!

@matt swenson Are your emus vocal? Females makes low drumming sounds and males, grunting sounds. The female will strut around with an "inflated throat" and try to impress the male with her size and drumming during courtship. If the male is interested, he'll closely follow the female until she lies down and they mate. Emus also tend to be the most sexually active at night, but I've seen my emus mate during the day as well.

no missing feathers, but think he nipped her on the back of the head, there was a cut there 2 twice in the last two weeks and never before that. As for being vocal....Taylor "booms ' all day and all night, it such a powerful bass sound you can hear it in the house. actually hear and to a degree feel it. i'm use to it but it freaks out guests. Elvis is pretty silent, he does hiss at children, dogs, rabbits and anything that is shorter than his waist. waist...midbody not sure if they have a waist.

MWIgY-ilGv3PBQiz2lwC5X_HOYDB_91eeTNEcKg1A_64zWV0fF3wXm-gvFyDikQ5UH-GCM4OZJidEnUAAU3e-JhPyYlGRJpdDTkuyq_dLWP86wRUWwPQUL7XVzV-jZ7BMzKC4WNqpzD4Flww8Sl9XgwqLZH7McrCZQTSBTz7WkJpyBdJKkh7-OwTtFRQIkxHgXsJGeU5Jql7UDg0FblAu8vMUUhFBZYdoLVewF0Z5-afjeS3eQB9PUp2UHBfviVNpM7e1AutqalAWAgYQ1ppt_-ooQRCXJFUZlVHapMNRQghgfrSCwhD2ogxqV9eEdnfAQNbj22n5EZKgwjPiWvYxO4BVNQGap6uzVPE3020zztoGumI4dOX6f7gtJ2GaZookASVsp15fdD6HOdp9jW83sNpiKxrbp2CxW-uZm29ZDPEKN1oBvcKPyK6v9kGx_QnRnEyZV8uIKIIC6QjFDCTdGlwKll7qD8tV0Mu3k8r3AgBggiSk_GB7eJjNlUibvbubSWrxnh7lQNkEmbuMqinxlgUD_M6pgYFoeshb2-FnuiUXTkpz089VsaPJbai3RjhHH8dEtbld_rjc23mf2JAvVFLHekGg8vHjqaWyjoEWKWN1ha60Z_Dn9Ddml0ELLMFUEtMEL1RlDVNkoIw9bkUJEtgWQ=w445-h888-no

Sw9g7pXaWHdRwcVZ2zI83sQqzM0YzOl_55DBZ4UWHknafur-W_y1Ptyz_lRLaO9b6KI0A6wI6JsYCiKpcphBmJ3B2KMFjdYl4LljpqAZuJXl4yE9qP1EVldJ5IC4dOuw80S9LGJKs-TEfL9zShpRrS9tkttCUiGW1tdvpwwYfEK1HsD1-cAbMek4RVi1Fcyhh28JdK9ZM21Zlfu-h9wkO-jjWxxvoeesOIcFwCK8BsOEwQOrAdTR1FVQAJz7M5qR2sbxbSkH_aR2ZVYCsxB0u2JCASMRGitdGrqNUeUVxxQ39Ql86zjExurv4fCwWfIHEt8Ihtxq73HOe4ind5YKalABWL7JB-dINPzgqs8EnTo5pahqV_9Oh8I8JlV_H-QSoLRtIoBNzM8AvwVJP0-b2ljP9SmJ8p9nzXCFH73HW8jRQER-cpoJzwP9q-jgo6lGACKoIo-oJzv7oTI9nuOdJO5BITviImWj2hOhAdig89-3WzYYJ2Oc6sXdeISmk2BYtb8rYPj4YpqGUy2pGlbmog2ON3KOY8P10DhrLKO1GQpXfQKf1BUR-A4aZO9oDE2d4uBdRrmmrXQ9ccZRU2cAdK2XG2ajAgnfkDqkzTAFPurjBZI_kTC88A_vNkiaRa6-e62nArbGLP_0Mx9O2XKGQk5BzA=w445-h888-no

Here they are!! I sent out for DNA today, will name them when the genders are back. Right now the smaller brownish one is 'emu A' and the larger one is 'emu B'.

Back
Top Bottom