2022/2023 Emu Hatch-a-Long

Pics
I do the same thing every year, lol. In fact just today my chance of blonde/white eggs got here. Mostly I'm trying for a white at this point, haha.

Darn post office cracked two of the eggs though, sigh. How they even managed, I don't know.
I almost drove to Texas from Washington to avoid the damaged eggs lol Mine came in undamaged but one is so skinny and shaped like a torpedo that anything that tries to hatch will have a very hard time. Said something to the people, but they shrugged it off like “oh well”. Still deciding if they should get a bad review 🤔 chances dropped considerably due to getting a badly shaped and sized egg.

Last edited:
I almost drove to Texas from Washington to avoid the damaged eggs lol Mine came in undamaged but one is so skinny and shaped like a torpedo that anything that tries to hatch will have a very hard time. Said something to the people, but they shrugged it off like “oh well”. Still deciding if they should get a bad review 🤔 chances dropped considerably due to getting a badly shaped and sized egg.
I think they most definitely deserve a bad review. A seller of hatching eggs should know better than to send a faulty shaped one. And then to shrug it off?! That sounds like someone I would not want to deal with, and future buyers should be warned.

If they hadn’t shrugged it off, if they had gone out of the way to rectify the “error”, that would have been ok. But to knowingly send a poor egg and not care? Who knows what other problems their birds and/or eggs have? I hope you get a decent hatch from the other eggs. And I hope you get healthy birds.

Give that honest review!

I think they most definitely deserve a bad review. A seller of hatching eggs should know better than to send a faulty shaped one. And then to shrug it off?! That sounds like someone I would not want to deal with, and future buyers should be warned.

If they hadn’t shrugged it off, if they had gone out of the way to rectify the “error”, that would have been ok. But to knowingly send a poor egg and not care? Who knows what other problems their birds and/or eggs have? I hope you get a decent hatch from the other eggs. And I hope you get healthy birds.

Give that honest review!
I really appreciate the input. I did write a neutral review explaining everything. In hopes that the people selling these eggs don’t send another poorly shaped egg to anyone else.

Was really hoping for a couple good chances of getting white or blonde this year. The two white chicks I’m picking up are both male.

Hi there, I'm a first time hatcher. I have 2 emu eggs currently in the incubator on day 45. For the most part I've gotten everything on point and I have answered most of my questions by searching threads except for a couple. If anyone can advise I would greatly appreciate it as we are nearing hatch day.
How long after hatching do emus stay in incubator before moving to brooder?
Do they start eating greens or chick starter right away or after a few?
Is the Mazuri chick starter the only brand anyone has ever used for emus?
Thank you again 💓

Hi there, I'm a first time hatcher. I have 2 emu eggs currently in the incubator on day 45. For the most part I've gotten everything on point and I have answered most of my questions by searching threads except for a couple. If anyone can advise I would greatly appreciate it as we are nearing hatch day.
How long after hatching do emus stay in incubator before moving to brooder?
Do they start eating greens or chick starter right away or after a few?
Thank you again 💓
Hello :)

Emus can stay in the incubator for a day or so and be just fine. All they really do is sleep and it just keeps them in a controlled environment while they rest. Some chicks will try to explorer foods a day or two after hatch, but most don’t have interest in food or water for 3 to 4 days.

As for feed, you can’t go wrong with Mazuri ratite starter. I don’t feed ratite feed and never have :oops:

Forgot to add, the chicks will sometimes get spoiled with greens and only want greens. So encourage the pellet feed first, then offer them greens. Dinosaur kale, spinach, collards greens are some of their favorites.

Last edited:
Hello :)

Emus can stay in the incubator for a day or so and be just fine. All they really do is sleep and it just keeps them in a controlled environment while they rest. Some chicks will try to explorer foods a day or two after hatch, but most don’t have interest in food or water for 3 to 4 days.

As for feed, you can’t go wrong with Mazuri ratite starter. I don’t feed ratite feed and never have :oops:

Forgot to add, the chicks will sometimes get spoiled with greens and only want greens. So encourage the pellet feed first, then offer them greens. Dinosaur kale, spinach, collards greens are some of their favorites.
Thank you for your advice. I dont have the pellets on me and to order they take 6 days to arrive more or less. Can I use a nonmedicated chick pellet in case I dont have it yet and they arrive?

Thank you again 💓

I use Poulin Grain ratite, but that's more of a small company so you likely won't find it outside of the northeast.

Kalmbach makes a good one too! And you can buy it from Chewy, believe it or not.

I use Poulin Grain ratite, but that's more of a small company so you likely won't find it outside of the northeast.

Kalmbach makes a good one too! And you can buy it from Chewy, believe it or not.
Thank you. I just ordered the Mazuri brand. Hopefully it gets here in time and the emus do survive 🙏

'Can I use a nonmedicated chick pellet in case I dont have it yet and they arrive?'

I must learn about the 'medicated' part, but chicks (and adults) will eat a wide variety of things. Try them with -- as noted -- all manner of greens. Try fruit, fresh and dried.

Off my plate in the garden, they'll scoff rice, rice cakes, bread, and pasta.

They'll eat wheat and lentils.

In the wild, flowers, seeds -- including scotch thistle -- and berries.

It's an easy test. If they like it, they'll just scoff it down.

Supreme Emu

Back
Top Bottom