24 THINGS HEADED FOR EXTINCTION IN AMERICA

Consider the Spix's Macaw, there are none left in the wild, and 60 in captivity. Or maybe the Giant Ibis, less than 50 remain. Or the Gurney's Pitta, only 18 remain. This is our fault, not global warming, (caused by us) or invasive species (brought to foreign places by us) What does this do to you? Does it make you sad? Regretful? ( When I say "Us" I mean humans)

Also extinct:

The ear spoon
The briefcase phone
Betamax video players
Lead-based paint
Hoop Skirts
Multi-layer petticoats
Arsenic and lead based makeup
Pole sitting
Crossword puzzle stockings
Leg tassels
Cupid-bow lipstick
Zoot suits
Segregated baseball leagues
Long cigarette holders
Goldfish swallowing

Most of the items/hobbies on the list are going extinct because they have been replaced by better options or were frankly not all that good of ideas to begin with. Not sure why that is a cause to mourn.

The only things on the list that we actually should mourn, that it is actually a tragedy to lose are:

Chesapeake Bay Blue Crabs
Ash Trees
Wild Horses
Honey Bees

The others are being lost because there are better options and time is marching on. This is true even of the family farm. The family farm can survive and compete, but a lot are being lost because the younger generations want to choose their own paths in life and forge their own careers. My great uncle complained so long and hard about the tough life of the farmer that when it came time to pass it on to one of his kids, none of them wanted to be saddled with it, they all had made successful careers in other fields.

No one is stopping anyone from writing a letter by hand. But now, instead of having to decipher my disabled mother-in-law's chicken scratches, I can read her email and she can get nearly real-time updates on her grandson. I haven't had a check get lost in the mail or fail to be correctly applied since the invent of the 'pay on line' option, which means I haven't paid an undeserved late fee in years. There would still be stand alone bowling alleys if enough people actually enjoyed bowling. I don't need an answering machine, my landline has voicemail.

I fail to see any good reason to be sad about the lose of Blockbuster, frankly if their corporate office gave a darn about customer service they'd probably have been able to survive.

Time marches on

the loss of the wild critters makes me sad and the rest is pretty much useless now BUT(funny how your mindset changes when you have NO extra $) I AM sad about the drive-in movies. extremely fond memories of going(with family,without!) the only remaining one in central ohio(that I knew about) was lost a couple of years ago. Had a chance to take my son a few times and we had fun also. meeting up with sibling and kids and being silly(don't have to be QUITE as quiet at drive in) I am going to research now and see if there ARE any close by. thanks.
hmm.png

OK-that was quick-researched and found the one on south high st. in columbus(been there,done that) and its a VERY rough area. it was considered bad when I was a kid and decades later its even worse so.....feeling safe is extinct?

#28 - children able to amuse themselves without the use of electricity
#29 - the family unit - and by that I mean - ALL of your children have the SAME father and you are still married to him!!!!

Back
Top Bottom