24 THINGS HEADED FOR EXTINCTION IN AMERICA

Well that's good news. I too still have a land line. As for the honey bee don't believe everything you read. According to Sean from Bushybee the colony collapse disorder is not all it's hyped up to bee. (pun intended).
It just seems to me that when big corporations get involved things go awry. You can watch the honey bee program on your pc at pbs.org. Many things are being done. Planting a patch of wild flowers is really quite simple and can't hurt.
Just as big chicken farms didn't spell the extinction of certain breeds of chickens, big "Honey bee" business can spell trouble for honey bees, but it is not going to spell extinction of the honey bee. Please remember that most breeds of chickens were created by cross breeding so they really aren't extinct.

The media keeps fueling the fires of hysteria. I'm surprised to see Louisiana is still there. Lets not forget the "bomb shelters" of the 50's n 60's. And regardless of what the extremists say man is not going to destroy the earth and annhilate us all.

I read somewhere that lack of genetic diversity in domestic hives was one of the suspects in Colony Collapse Disorder. Makes sense.

I have a very healthy and diverse bee population in my area. It wasn't anything intentional...I just planted some Japanese Spirea and now my yard is THE place for them to hang out in the fall. I counted 5 different species of bee at one point last year.

Hmmmm. I'm still holding on to my yellow pages, VCR's, answering machine, incandescent bulbs, personal checks and land line.

Last edited:
24. We like the Yellow Pages! Hope they don't disappear, what would I do for a doorstop?

23. Sheesh, I used to be a copyeditor, and one of my jobs was reading every classified ad every night before the press deadline, and making sure it was pasted into the old printing sheets correctly--this was back before newspapers were made on computers, you had to type everything into a word processor and a specially set-up printer would make it into column size. I for one will be glad never to see another weirdo classified ad, or hearing another irate would-be customer complaining about the "no soliciting for you-know-what" policy ever again.

22. Another one that makes me sad. DH tends to buy movies that look interesting, although he's good about re-selling the crummy ones to the secondhand shop.

21. Good riddance. Don't miss dial-up one bit. Wifi is your friend.

20. Isn't it dangerous not to have a landline? I thought the whole deal with the landline is that IF you have to call 911, they can't tell where you are by a cell phone. Whereas a land line, the 911 operator can see your address immediately.

19. I remember the best Maryland crab cakes ever, years ago...And I remember the giant brouhaha some years later, when all the PA farmers were told that they needed to change their fertilizer practices, because phosphates and excess nitrogen and so forth were ending up in the Chesapeake. We started getting the phosphate-free laundry detergent, and a bunch of people complained that it was Big Brother trying to keep us down, but honestly, the phosphate-free stuff works just as well and it's cheaper.

18. Tell me about it. Mine gave up the ghost, and now I have all these tapes...

17. Well, mine are OK, knock on wood. In fact, anyone who would like to fight the spread of the Ash Borer is welcome to collect any of the freakin' THOUSANDS of seedlings we get in the yard every year...

16. I have a ham radio license. It expires next year. I should renew it.

15. I have a swimming pool, and the insurance on it is INSANE. Not sure I'd feel tooooo bad about the swimming holes, because after seeing what so-called friends and neighbors will happily do to a swimming pool when they think you aren't looking, I don't think I would dip so much as a pinky toe into the urine-filled and poop-contaminated cesspits that are "open to the public" swimming pools. Yes, I realize no one gets polio anymore, but it's still gross.

14. Have one of these also.

13. Boy, I have two! Maybe I should stock up on film. Best thing on earth for wildlife photography, really--the digital ones aren't nearly as good as a $200 film camera.

12. Huh. What about heat lamps?

11. There's one right down the road from me. DH likes bowling.

10. We also have one of these, who delivers milk in glass bottles. Sadly they only do milk, chocolate milk and ice cream--all the other things they have are national brands.

9. I write hand-written thank you notes on special cards. I don't care if I am the only person on earth who does such a thing.

8. Ah, that's too bad.

7. They actually come in handy. Not everyone takes PayPal.

6. Used to have one down the road from DH's college, so it was a fun thing to do. The main problem was, the movies they played were invariably pretty awful things that no one wanted to see.

5. Unfortunately, the numbers have gone up considerably since 2005--more than doubled. Guess why.

4. Getting some of these next year, once my winter flowering plants are established.

3. Well, define "TV News." I mean, most of the news-y type shows have been replaced by ranting lunatics shouting something political and fluff pieces about the most fashionable type of dog. In that sense, I'd say they are long gone already.

2. Already gone.
roll.png

1. We've got a few around here. Support your local farmer, buy CSA shares!

Fortunately in my area we still have a few stand alone bowling alleys, and a drive in that seems to do very well in the summertime. We don't have a milkman, but we have a dairy farm that makes their own milk a couple of miles away, and their milk is awesome. I do see quite a few honeybees every summer too. The crabs are like all seafood, if people would just stop consuming them for a few years, they would probably bounce right back.

Last edited:
If honey bees dwindle, we as a human race will suffer greatly. There are several programs that are attempting to keep this a viable business.

Telephone companies did them selves a disservice by being all are nothing with their service. Either you have the ability to dial out ONLY in your prefix (NOT area code) and pay a bare minimum or you get the ENTIRE 70 dollar a month package. Even the old timers are wising up and getting "track phones" and cheap monthly rated wireless phones to call out on and keep a voice mail.

Now, at least here locally, the phone company is starting to provide "naked DSL" so at LEAST you will take on their INTERNET DSL connection. A phone line is needed in most houses ONLY for DSL these days. With the advent of a dedicated cell phone number and a device to connect your computer, the land phone lines are now dwindling to nothing.

I DO NOT think satellite INTERNET will EVER catch on. It is way too slow when all the teeny boppers get on and the service is shaky and expensive at its best.

With the advent of smart phones, we may well see the end of every thing else and a "dick tracey" society will emerge.

Quote:
no, its sad but true!...those things ARE becoming more rare... i'm only 35 and i see it.....
sad.png

well you can't argue that all these things being rare could classify them as being "on their way" to extinction...
wink.png
and I'm only 21 and I see it to.

Back
Top Bottom