25 Chicks from Meyer Lookin' Good!!

swampducks

Overrun With Guineas
11 Years
Feb 29, 2008
Barton City, MI
Actually, there are 27. They sent me one extra of each. I've got 12 golden laced wyandottes and 15 buckeyes. They got to my PO at 10 am after leaving Ohio on Monday. I wasn't quite pulling my hair out while tracking them through the Post Office website, I can't believe how many stops they made along the way! Five total that I know about; 2 in Ohio and 3 in Michigan. I guess there's at least one disadvantage to living out in the sticks.

But it's quite a relief after the guinea disaster the PO put those keets through over the weekend.

I've still got 13 guineas and they're looking good now too. They went nuts over the mash I made for them last night.

The chicks immediately went about their business pecking the floor for food after I dipped their beaks in the water. Got my fingers crossed things continue well.
big_smile.png

My pictures of everyone came out lousy so I'll have to try again once they all settle down.

That's great that your chicks are doing well. My lavender silkie chicks shipped out today from Ideal hatchery.

hugs.gif
So sorry about some of your guinea keets not making it.
hugs.gif

At first I thought they swapped my order because there were 12 dark brown chicks which I was sure were the buckeyes and 15 gold ones that I figured were the gold laced wyandottes. Nope, the shiny gold chicks are gonna turn mahogany and the dark ones will lighten up.

Aren't genetics wonderful?!!
wink.png

Genetics are funny. I just hatched out some buckeyes and couldn't believe their color. Now they're sort of a light brown. It will be interesting to watch their colors change over the next few months.

My sister has ordered from Meyers and never lost a single chick.

Well the chicks are still looking good today!
smile.png
and what's left of my guineas are hanging in there. For what they went through with the post office all weekend they must have been pretty healthy to start with or there probably wouldn't be any survivors. If I need more guineas next year I won't have a problem ordering from Meyer again. Hopefully, though, I'll get some eggs from these guys I can hatch next spring.

Back
Top Bottom