2nd coop?

amymboxer

Chirping
Mar 19, 2016
So I have a chicken math issue went from 6 chickens to double that. I bought a really cute chicken coop from craigslist that is homemade out of pallets that is 4x5 coop I am elevating. The run is 14x14 on the long side and 7x7 on the short sides. An L shape. I live in Calfornia so cold isnt much of an issue most of thr year but the heat is. The run is shaded. Do I need to build another enclosed coop in the run for more birds? It is well protected from the wind and I don't plan on closing the coop most of the time.

Last edited:
Is it an option to just extend the current coop instead of building a new one? Usually the flock (even when combined with new hens) likes to stay together... but that's my experience. They'd all probably want to gravitate to the same one come nightfall.

No I will have to add a seperate one. I can add cover to the lower portion as well but not add to the existing coop interior. Was going to build an elevated seperate one out of old doors on the other side of the run with another set of nexting boxes. But we don't get a ton of cold weather here so not sure how necessary another completely encloses space is.

So I'm pretty new at this too but I've seen what Kerry said. Chickens like to be together. I'm not sure why they'd separate if there's room. When it's cold, ours will huddle in a corner together even though we have 60 sqft for them on the floor and plenty of roosting areas.

Ok thanks maybe I will just add another area for a "second floor for square footage with roosting bars for the warm summer months then. Just to add more space for them. Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom