2yr old hen, stumbling like she's drunk.....

calamarie

In the Brooder
Mar 15, 2015
Ok so I've been reading a lot of threads on here about this, but I'm not finding anything that is entirely relating to what I've got here, most everything I'm reading is issues with chicks...I have a 2yr old hen that suddenly can't walk although she tries she will stumble around like a drunk person and fall over, or do a complete somersault then just lay down. Other than the drunk walk she acts normal, will lay down and peck at the ground and look around and appears to feel fine, she made her way (have no idea how) into the coop and put her self up in the nesting box for the night to sleep...when I pick her up she flaps, kicks her legs and puts up a fight like my other birds do when I catch them and everything seems to work just fine, no injury, no pale comb or really anything, but you set her down and she goes back to the drunk walk. I gave poultry vitamins, water, and dumped food on the ground where she is....have no idea what it could be, my flock free ranges during the day and goes in the coop at night, I feed a 18% protein feed that is made on a local farm...and haven't changed anything lately. I did read about internal egg laying but she seems to feel fine and act normal other than the walk. I'll post a few pics

Ok so I've been reading a lot of threads on here about this, but I'm not finding anything that is entirely relating to what I've got here, most everything I'm reading is issues with chicks...I have a 2yr old hen that suddenly can't walk although she tries she will stumble around like a drunk person and fall over, or do a complete somersault then just lay down. Other than the drunk walk she acts normal, will lay down and peck at the ground and look around and appears to feel fine, she made her way (have no idea how) into the coop and put her self up in the nesting box for the night to sleep...when I pick her up she flaps, kicks her legs and puts up a fight like my other birds do when I catch them and everything seems to work just fine, no injury, no pale comb or really anything, but you set her down and she goes back to the drunk walk. I gave poultry vitamins, water, and dumped food on the ground where she is....have no idea what it could be, my flock free ranges during the day and goes in the coop at night, I feed a 18% protein feed that is made on a local farm...and haven't changed anything lately. I did read about internal egg laying but she seems to feel fine and act normal other than the walk. I'll post a few pics
one

One of mine kind of did a back flip yesterday, ran backwards a bitand then stopped looked around obviously a bit disoriented.As i was there i bent down and held her for a while , then she was ok . This hen is kept with two others as they are bullied by other flock . Will look forward to see replies.

Day 3 now and she pretty much has stayed beside this alfalfa bale, she changes position but doesn't come out and it looks like she's broody or nesting on eggs but no eggs....wondering if this is an internal egg laying deal....

Back
Top Bottom