3 1/2 Wk Old Chick Charging at Sibling? Roo?

highwayhens

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 2, 2009
Is this a sign of a roo? Our black chick started charging at the other chick this week and pecking it a bit. The speckled chick will stand his/her ground and peck back a little, but doens't seem as aggressive.
Today I saw the black chick get kinda confrontational to the other chick and stand up and raise it's wings. The speckled chick did the same back.
Is it just roos that do this stuff?

Roos (young cockerals) will do that, but so do my hens (young pullets) when they are growing out. Keep an eye on them, I know it's hard at this age, you really want to know, but in my experience, ALL of my birds did that - boy and girl. Even at a young age establishing pecking order.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Roos (young cockerals) will do that, but so do my hens (young pullets) when they are growing out. Keep an eye on them, I know it's hard at this age, you really want to know, but in my experience, ALL of my birds did that - boy and girl. Even at a young age establishing pecking order.

Hope this helps
x2 my full grown silkie hens fight more than the roos sometimes

Ha, ha, I hope we've got two "mean girls" on our hands--or at least one!
Thank you everyone!

Well I can definitely eliminate overcrowding as an explanation--we have two hens and two chicks in a 80' x 12' run! We have more of an "undercrowding" problem.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom