3 Barred Rock baby hatched out pitch black and 2 are tri colored

floridachickhatcher

Songster
8 Years
May 22, 2011
Hollister,FL
I think im posting this in the right section i was wondering has anyone ever had barred rock chicks hatch out pitch black and stay that way? i mean i have 3 baby chickens no clue yet as to male or female and they have no barrings on them at all legs,beak,feathers all black they 1 is about a month old or so and the others are maybe few weeks i mean i dont care that they are black and the tri colored no clue if they are male or female they have the body of the hens the darker black and then their chest are white heres some pictures i took and we have no black chickens whatso ever on the farm

92874_100_0350.jpg

92874_100_0355.jpg
shes up against the wall i couldnt get a better pic i didnt want to walk in the house it was hot and didnt want to bother them

if she is the one on the left below the sun circle, then it's looking rooish by the tail, other than that I don't see any black birds (under the ladder is that a black bird)?
so what are the parents?? you have other birds in the picture, are you sure they are barred rocks (barred is a color) or are they plymouth rocks which come in other colors including barred.

What is the Rooster?
a red rooster over barred hens will get you black hens and barred roosters
that's how some black sex links are made
the black hens will mature to show some red leakage
A barred rooster which is not pure for the trait will produce some black chicks as well

well i did try to make my own black sex links i have a RIR roo and BR hens but i didnt know if it took cause all the chicks hatched out with the white dots on their heads only a few hatched out without the dot and we bought the chickens when they were 4 months old the adults now not the ones in the pictures and he said he only raises barred rock chickens cause they are a strong breed but when i saw the one in the first pic and the pure black one i thought what is going on?!!

but anyway im not hatching out BR chicks anymore i really dont like them they are mean ours are atleast even the babies of the BR parents are mean

Barred Rocks are very sweet birds normally. In fact, they are my favorite. If you tried to make sex links and got chicks with head spots, you got black sex link males. Ones with no head spot would have been the females.

Back
Top Bottom