3 chickens not laying 30 weeks old

Stephfret

In the Brooder
Dec 11, 2020
None of my three chickens have started laying and they are thirty weeks old. All different breeds (black australorp, buff brahman, Easter egger). Have looked all over the yard and don’t see any evidence of them laying elsewhere or eating their own eggs. Is this strange? The lady at the farm supply store thought so! If it was just one of them I would assume just a late bloomer but all three seems odd. We live in NC so we have some cold spells but generally temperate climate. Have been feeding them Dumor organic 16% layer crumble, always available to them. I also give them a couple of handfuls of scratch every day, and they free range in the yard. Grateful for any ideas or advice!

Attachments

• D703A3FF-E7BF-4CD7-BD51-814034ADAA73.jpeg
    D703A3FF-E7BF-4CD7-BD51-814034ADAA73.jpeg
    543.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 0344ACA7-C7E7-4A36-AE5E-6FA74DF798E4.jpeg
    0344ACA7-C7E7-4A36-AE5E-6FA74DF798E4.jpeg
    747 KB · Views: 14
they free range in the yard.
All those birds in first pic look to be in lay, from comb color.
Time for an exam:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Then might be good to confine them for a few days.
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

All those birds in first pic look to be in lay, from comb color.
Time for an exam:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Then might be good to confine them for a few days.
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.
Thank you—this is really helpful! Will examine them today. We do already have fake eggs in their boxes. Confining for a little while makes sense—I will give it a try!

I have three black Australorp and two started at 26 weeks and one still hasn’t at 35 weeks. I just figure she is taking her time. She is at the bottom of the pecking order.

I have three black Australorp and two started at 26 weeks and one still hasn’t at 35 weeks. I just figure she is taking her time. She is at the bottom of the pecking order.
Our BA is 32 weeks and is also at the bottom of the peckign order (ISA Brown and Leghorn rule teh roost) and she too isnt laying - did yours eventually lay????

Yep frustrating. But funny how much my wife and I have come to love these birds. I think for her first egg we will throw a big party and bring her inside Haha

Back
Top Bottom