3 day old chick has messed up legs, need advice.

howdyitsmia

Songster
May 23, 2020
Utah, United States
I recently got 400 chicks, and I have a 3 day old baby chick that has messed up legs, and it won’t keep its eyes open, and I need advice on how to cull it, or if it is worth it to try saving, although I’m sure there will be more out of the 400 that will have issues.
I’ve read that you can use a chopping block and decapitate them, but I’m not sure what tools I need and how to get them into a good position. Or is there a better way? I don’t feel good about gassing it.

Here’s some pictures
7F6AE505-7E62-4889-B16C-22989CAEC142.jpeg
E6D9B60C-FABB-4CCB-A5AD-BA3A27F8E330.jpeg

Whats wrong with its legs? If its just splay leg there is an easy fix for that. Have you tried Save-a-chick, Nutridrench, or electolytes for chicks? Things like that? Do you have a good heat source for them and areas to move away from it if they get too hot? Sometimes you do get ones that fail to thrive, but I wouldnt throw in the towel just yet.

Whats wrong with its legs? If its just splay leg there is an easy fix for that. Have you tried Save-a-chick, Nutridrench, or electolytes for chicks? Things like that? Do you have a good heat source for them and areas to move away from it if they get too hot? Sometimes you do get ones that fail to thrive, but I wouldnt throw in the towel just yet.
I have no idea. It doesn’t look like splay leg, it’s feet are kind of stuck under it and twisted weird. It can hobble a bit but it won’t move. I haven’t seen it make any attempt to eat or drink, it just sits there and looks asleep. There are chick probiotics and things in the water, but it isn’t drinking so I don’t know. They can move away from heat as they please, but this one doesn’t move.

I have no idea. It doesn’t look like splay leg, it’s feet are kind of stuck under it and twisted weird. It can hobble a bit but it won’t move. I haven’t seen it make any attempt to eat or drink, it just sits there and looks asleep. There are chick probiotics and things in the water, but it isn’t drinking so I don’t know. They can move away from heat as they please, but this one doesn’t move.
There’s pictures, does that look like splay leg? And if it does, how do I fix it?

Maybe better pics of the legs? Some people have had chicks they've made "boots" for if the feet are curled. You can probably look up videos on Youtube. Good luck.

You have 399 other chicks to take care of, so it probably best to cull this one. You can wait until it is sleeping, then pick it up and cut the head off with scissors. Bones are soft so it doesn't take much force.

It looks a bit like a slipped tendon or leg bone deformity. Neither condition is hopeful. If you have time to care a chick with a disability or try to help a slipped tendon, that would be good to try. If not the chick can be put down by removing the head with scissors. It can be helpful to use riboflavin (vitamin b2) for leg and foot problems. Taping toes in place on top and on bottom are good for curled under toes. Here is a link for slipped tendon:
https://www.chickenheavenonearth.co...u-can-do-to-help-chicken-heaven-on-earth.html

Back
Top Bottom