3-day old chick standing on one leg

Sarah3

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 19, 2015
New Mexico, United States
Hi there. We've got a 3-day old chick who is standing on one leg. She cheeps a lot (and louder) than the other chicks. She can extend the leg and occasionally will put some weight on it, but then she goes back to standing on one leg. She does NOT stand with her legs splayed when she does put weight on the leg.

I can't find any signs of injury on the foot or leg, no swelling at the leg joint, etc. This behavior was first observed when the chick was 1 day old, although at that time she was only standing on one leg when sleeping, and would otherwise walk on both legs. Now she is more often standing on one leg only, but will still put weight on both legs when walking.

Anyone got any ideas as to what the issue is, or other things for us to investigate?

Attachments

• DSC06379.JPG
    DSC06379.JPG
    243.7 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC06383.JPG
    DSC06383.JPG
    164.1 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC06388.JPG
    DSC06388.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 19
There is a little wound on the rear toe of that leg that she doesn't want to use. I had a chick with a toe wound last April. I could barely see it, but the chick was immobilized by it, and was in a lot of pain. Who knows how she got it. I noticed it when I was setting the chicks up in the brooder upon bringing them home from TSC.

I treated the toe with an antiseptic, but it still grew worse and the toe fell off. It isn't as bad as it sounds. That's how chicken feet are.

The pain can send a tiny chick into stress, and it can be life threatening. I needed to treat my chick with warm sugar water and a drop of Poultry Nutri-drench. The big plus was this chick grew up to be totally imprinted on me and we're best pals now.

Hmmm, I'm still not sure what the issue is: This morning, the chick was running around vigorously just like the others, eating, scratching, etc, and using both legs equally.

Now, by mid-afternoon, she is again spending a lot of standing on one leg only and cheeping. But she only stands on one leg when resting. That is when she cheeps a lot, too. (She has cheeped a lot from day 1, earning her the nickname of Princess Screamer by my kids.) She stands on two feet when eating, walking, etc.

I can't find any sign of a wound on her toe or foot (that black spot in the photo from last night must have been a fleck of dirt, because there's nothing there today). She does still have black on the tip of one toenail which doesn't come off, but doesn't seem to cause any pain or look like any wound. Anyone have any other ideas?

Attachments

• DSC06391.JPG
    DSC06391.JPG
    226.8 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC06402.JPG
    DSC06402.JPG
    176.8 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC06405.JPG
    DSC06405.JPG
    194.8 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC06406.JPG
    DSC06406.JPG
    192.8 KB · Views: 10
Something is causing her pain and not to want to stand on that foot. Those chick feet (gotta love them!) are so tiny, it's darned hard to see if anything is amiss. The rapid chirping is further evidence of pain. Chick babies are like human babies and scream to make their needs know to whomever is in charge of making their world satisfactory and they are very good at it.

You need to get strong light, maybe a magnifying lens and look the legs and feet over well. Compare the two legs for any differences. Watch the chick, which I know you're doing, but it's important to determine if it's getting worse instead of better.

I hear you and agree. Inspection in strong light hasn't revealed any difference at all between the left and right legs (the left doesn't look bruised compared to the right one, the picture just looked funky because of lighting). That's a great idea to try using a magnifying lens to see if I can find anything. Will do that this AM once the chicks are awake. Thanks for all of your help thus far. :)

I wasn't able to find anything different from the chick's left vs right legs/feet today. She is still running around/eating like normal, especially in the early day, but then goes to standing on one foot and cheeping more in the late afternoon/evening. She will still walk around then and eat throughout the evening, but she stands on one leg whenever resting. She does seem to be cheeping less today, for sure.

Now, this evening, though, we've noticed one new thing: her feet are peeling a little bit, and they feel really dry. And the foot she stands on is actually peeling more than the one she holds up, although they are both definitely peeling. None of the other chicks are showing any similar issues.

Any thoughts on these latest developments? I'm feeling like things are moving in the right direction, since she seems to be standing on one foot less this evening that previous evenings, and is definitely cheeping less. But do the peeling feet give any insight into what the issue was in the first place?

Attachments

• DSC06429.JPG
    DSC06429.JPG
    171 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC06431.JPG
    DSC06431.JPG
    169.2 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC06435.JPG
    DSC06435.JPG
    222.5 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC06436.JPG
    DSC06436.JPG