RaisingBabies

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2020
Hi! We have dealt with corzya in the past so I already know that isn't it. My baby chicken has been wheezing, 'rattling' and sneezing for about 2 months now. Today I noticed one of her eyes is swollen, has green and yellow crust around it and bubbles coming from the inner corner. No smell. She's (along with everyone else) still very active as if nothing is wrong. She has been staying with the other 4 babies and they have absolutely no symptoms. I'm thinking she got sick from the mold (from under the waterer) ? She eats and drinks fine. Also feel like I should mention, she has been in the coop with the larger chickens before and they are all fine as well.

I'm just really scared I'm praying that this isn't going to turn into a big thing, because we have 60 chickens now. We haven't introduced any new chickens into the flock either, we only hatch our babies

Have any of you had this problem?What could it be and how do I treat it? Could culling the sick one be the answer or could it be contagious still (if it is)? Please help 😭

Where are you located in the world?

Please post some photos of her and the eyes.
What did you use to treat Coryza?
Clean any debris/pus/crust from the eyes, press out pus to help reduce swelling and apply an eye ointment like Terramycin. An antibiotic may be needed to clear up infection as well.

Bubbles in the eyes can be an indication of Mycoplasma. If you have Coryza in your flock, this may be some type of secondary infection. It would be hard to know without testing.

Where are you located in the world?

Please post some photos of her and the eyes.
What did you use to treat Coryza?
Clean any debris/pus/crust from the eyes, press out pus to help reduce swelling and apply an eye ointment like Terramycin. An antibiotic may be needed to clear up infection as well.

Bubbles in the eyes can be an indication of Mycoplasma. If you have Coryza in your flock, this may be some type of secondary infection. It would be hard to know without testing.
Ahh, all of our chickens that had corzya died and were buried long before we got these. And the whole coop was bleached and deep cleaned so literally all traces of it is gone. I am located in Florida. What is mycoplasma? And I will take pictures when I get home

Ah, I see. You mentioned Coryza so I thought it might be relevant to this situation:)

Photos are usually very helpful.

Mycoplasma is a respiratory disease. Like Infectious Coryza, it makes birds carriers for life.

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
20210122_162950.jpg

She's been symptomatic for 2 months so likely a respiratory disease but it's possible she's also having difficulty/complications from Fowl Pox too.

General eye care as described previously would be good. You may need an antibiotic to help treat secondary infection.

She's been symptomatic for 2 months so likely a respiratory disease but it's possible she's also having difficulty/complications from Fowl Pox too.

General eye care as described previously would be good. You may need an antibiotic to help treat secondary infection.
That sucks :/ And the fowl pox just came up like 2 days ago. Thank you for the information

Back
Top Bottom