3 Month Old Pullet Stopped Eating &

katelwil

Songster
Apr 16, 2021
I noticed on Wednesday around noon that my 3 month old pullet had her tail down and I immediately checked her crop, which was empty.

I moved her straight inside & started giving her nutridrench water via a dropper. I also started hand feeding her egg and yogurt mixed with the all-flock feed that they typically eat.
Wednesday night I was really worried because she started holding her wings out and was looking in bad shape, she also kept puttingher head very low, also on the ground. She was stumbling around and weak. I monitored her droppings while she was inside and there was nothing abnormal, no blood, nothing.

Thursday morning she was much better, I continued to keep her inside and make sure she was eating eggs/feed and drinking the nutridrench water.

Since she was doing so well, I let her sleep in the coop with the others last night & she is still doing good this morning. I checked her crop first thing and it is full. Her droopy tail has resolved & she is no longer having balance issues.

I'm just really confused as to what happened? All the others were doing great! She is molting right now, could that be part of it?

Shared experiences and advice would be appreciated! Although she seems to be doing better, I am still paranoid and keeping a close eye on her.

Absolutely @Wyorp Rock
I will keep her inside overnight so I can get some photos of her poop. & I'll also take a photo of her tonight! I will post them soon, thank you for your response! :)

20210909_193532.jpg
20210909_193437.jpg
20210909_193429.jpg

Here are pictures of her, when I saw her Wednesday her tail was fully drooping.

Sounds like a possible (likely?) nutritional issue to me, AND she's a bantam breed, or at least crossed with a bantam breed like a Silkie.
Vitamin-E and B-Complex therapy will likely help her substantially barring other issues. I think you got a glimpse of that by giving her the Poulty Nutri-Drench.
In my opinion, she's needs a bit more of what Nutri-Drench offered (vitamins), but in a bit higher concentration.
EDIT: The full crop in the AM concerns me however... You might be dealing with Impacted Crop, which might cause her to stop eating/drinking because she feels poorly. Impacted Crop chickens normally try to eat more because they are still hungry and thirsty...

Last edited:
Sounds like a possible (likely?) nutritional issue to me, AND she's a bantam breed, or at least crossed with a bantam breed like a Silkie.
Vitamin-E and B-Complex therapy will likely help her substantially barring other issues. I think you got a glimpse of that by giving her the Poulty Nutri-Drench.
In my opinion, she's needs a bit more of what Nutri-Drench offered (vitamins), but in a bit higher concentration.
EDIT: The full crop in the AM concerns me however... You might be dealing with Impacted Crop, which might cause her to stop eating/drinking because she feels poorly. Impacted Crop chickens normally try to eat more because they are still hungry and thirsty...
Thank you for your response!

Sorry, I explained that bad 😅 when I said she has a full crop, she had been up probably and hour or so before me and had already accessed the food available in the pen. Thankfully I don't think there is any issue there. I meant to express it as a good thing, since she was previously not eating on her own.

I'm thinking the same about the vitamin deficiency, do you have any recommendations for measurements on a more concentrated dose?

Thanks a lot!

Also @Wyorp Rock here is a picture of her droppings, she's been inside for about an hour and I was able to get pics!
20210909_203142.jpg

20210909_203101.jpg

Poop looks fairly ok.
Let's see what the overnight droppings look like.

So she's perked up and acting normal now?
Trim the feathers away from her eyes so she can see to eat/drink well. It's surprising how a bird will act if they are not staying hydrated and eating.

Poop looks fairly ok.
Let's see what the overnight droppings look like.

So she's perked up and acting normal now?
Trim the feathers away from her eyes so she can see to eat/drink well. It's surprising how a bird will act if they are not staying hydrated and eating.
Sounds good, I will post more in the morning.

She is perked up and acting normal. She has had a full crop when I've checked her, so I know she is eating on her own! She was upset with me for taking her inside away from her flock, and she let me know it 😂

I will definitely trim them :)

Okay, here is apicture from this morning!
20210910_081757.jpg

Also, I trimmed her feathers just now, I had meaning to do it but failed to make it a priority, who knows that may have been part of the problem! :/ I'm sure she's appreciative! 😄
20210910_132759.jpg

Okay, here is apicture from this morning!View attachment 2829031
Also, I trimmed her feathers just now, I had meaning to do it but failed to make it a priority, who knows that may have been part of the problem! :/ I'm sure she's appreciative! 😄
View attachment 2829033
Poop looks good to me.
Was her crop empty this morning?

There's been a few folks that have seen drastic improvement after trimming the feathers from around the eyes. Birds apparently didn't see too well and weren't eating/drinking like they should.

Hope she continues to do well!

Back
Top Bottom