3 week old chick can't walk. Help!

Teepea

Chirping
5 Years
Dec 28, 2014
Melbourne, Tyabb

I noticed the other day that one of my 4 chicks seemed to have trouble walking, but nothing really bad, just fell over occasionally. However the next day it's condition had worsened. The poor thing could hardly stand let alone walk, although it tried with little affect, only making its legs splay out as though doing the splits. I've looked it over for injuries, but appears fine, no swelling or cuts. I've no idea how it happen. Little Bub, is still eating and drinking but is constantly tiered due to the effort it puts in trying to walk. I thought at first it was saddle legs, but it doesn't seem to fit it quite right. I've separated her from the others so she doesn't get trodden on, and she spends most of the day asleep or eating inside with me.
Additionally I have constructed, a type of sling to help her stand it the correct position, hopping it'll help strengthen and correct her legs.
What more can I do to help her?

Can you give the chick some vitamins for poultry or some baby liquid vitamins? Human B complex vitamins would also be a good substitute. Has the chick been bullied from eating and drinking? Mareks disease, which usually shows up a bit later, can cause that sort of leg positioning, but hopefully it is a vitamin deficiency such as riboflavin.

Can you give the chick some vitamins for poultry or some baby liquid vitamins? Human B complex vitamins would also be a good substitute. Has the chick been bullied from eating and drinking? Mareks disease, which usually shows up a bit later, can cause that sort of leg positioning, but hopefully it is a vitamin deficiency such as riboflavin.

I'll give that a shot. Thank you
1f60a.png

What's Mareks disease?
Also she hasn't been bullied but I did find her being stood on by the others as she had flipped over.

Last edited:
Mareks disease is a virus that causes tumors in various area of the body, and can cause paralysis in one or both legs, wings, neck, and tumors inside the body and on the skin. Sometimes the eyes ar affected. Many chicks are vaccinated as day old chicks at the hatcheries. It is found worldwide.

Marek's is one of the most contagious and dangerous viruses in poultry. I urge to learn everything you can about it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marek's_disease
Vaccinate your flock. It can devastate an otherwise healthy group of chickens in short order. I hope this is not your chick's problems as there is no cure and survivors become carriers of the disease. Don't take chances with this one. Most hatcheries offer to vaccinate day olds but you can also do this yourself fairly easily but whatever you decide I would suggest protecting your birds against this.

Best case scenario is this is just a vitamin deficiency and that can be corrected by simply giving her the necessary vitamins over a week long treatment. Best wishes.

Any follow up to this? I'm having the same issue with a 2 week old Ameracauna. It was vaccinated for Marek's the hatchery told me.

Back
Top Bottom