3 week old chick help please!

ittybit

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 6, 2013
Hi everyone, I am a new chicken owner and have 19 baby chicks that are 3 weeks old. Since day 3 we have had to seperate one of the chicks for relentless pecking of others. The pecking chick can still see the others but seperated by 1/4" wire screen. Everyday while I am supervising I put this chick back in with the rest for another chance. Within minutes it is chasing the others and pecking their vents. Out it goes back into it's own pen. The other chicks get along great, no pecking no fighting. I've tried putting a pile of grass in at the same time or chopped cooked egg. I've added perches. The pen is 6 feet by 4 feet. They've always had the red light bulbs. I put this problem on a while back and mostly got answers like cull it or give it away. I can't kill it. I don't have anyone to give it to. I'm thinking about filing it's top beak back a bit and not so sharp so it can't peck the other's bottoms. I'm worried if it will still be able to eat and drink. I'm at my wit's end and want to give this little chick every chance I can. If anyone has any ideas please I would so appreciate it. Thanks so much!!

I've had one or 2 that are like that. They just don't know how to play nice. Now, this only worked for one of the 2 but maybe it is worth a try.... if you put them somewhere other than the brooder like a wire pen outside or the bath tub for a little while and add the group first and the trouble maker last they are on neutral ground and may be mixed up enough by new surroundings that the meanie might stop pecking the others. If that works for an hour or 2 try putting them all back into the brooder together and see what happens. Sometimes all they need is a little time out to get their heads straight. If it dose not help and it still bullies the others I hate to say it but it may have to go because 9 times out of 10 it seems a bully doesn't get any better. :-( The one I had that didn't get along no matter what went in its own pen until I found a new home for it.

Hi, thanks so much I will try that. Our tub is kind of a busy place but I have a large desk box my husband brought home and will try it in the morning. It just doesn't seem to know how to get along. It won't lay down with the rest. The others just all pile up and go to sleep and this one just roams looking for their bottoms. So aggravating. I did have a little hospital box for the injured ones the first week also next to the main brooder so the little pecked ones could still see each other. I don't let the pecking get that far now. I wish there was a chicken rescue. Have you ever trimmed a chicken's beak. This little meanie has such a sharp dagger beak. thanks again for your help!!

No problem :). I just hope it helps. I have not filed or trimmed beaks back ever because I'm afraid of making them bleed. I have a bunch from privett this year with really long beaks....its loony lol. But since the bully is pulling feathers blunting its beak may not help too much I don't think anyway :-( keep us updated on how it works out!

I wish it were just feather pulling. This is chasing with multiple vent pecks relentlessly. It will also go up to sleeping chicks and peck at their eyes. Could it be a boy? So worrisome. thanks...

Welcome to chicken keeping! The others' advice is good. It's worth trying, but it may not solve the problem. It's possible that this is just an overly aggressive chick. Doesn't necessarily mean it's a boy either. It sounds like completely abnormal behavior.

I would try to get them into a much bigger coop as soon as you can; access to the outdoors would be even better. It could spring from boredom.

You have a difficult decision on your hands. It's unfortunate, though, that no one told you that culling is part of being a responsible chicken owner. You may have to find a way to get over that, if not in this situation, then possibly down the road. Good luck

So, is culling killing? Or removing it and finding a new home? I'm not sure who would want a chick like this. Maybe someone with older chickens that could teach this one a lesson? thanks!!

Culling = killing.
Rehoming = finding a new home.

I hope you realize that a grown chicken would probably kill a 3 week old chick, especially if it's a single chick being introduced to a new flock. Not a good idea.

"I'm not sure who would want a chick like this."

Exactly. :) No one. Which is why I suggested taking charge of the situation on your own, one way or another. Part and parcel of having animals. :)

Oh you do have your hands full. Our kids are all grown so now we are going to be busy with chickens! When we picked up our chicks there were 4 baby ducks there. They were so cute. Do they ever peck each other their beaks seem different. Some friends said not to get ducks because they are messy.

Back
Top Bottom