3 week old chick suddenly ill!!

Hensandchickens2196

In the Brooder
Sep 7, 2017
I have five 3 week old chicks, they are white leghorn/americuana. I hatched them all myself. They have all been very active, eating, and drinking just fine, but today one of them suddenly has become kind of lethargic, its eyes are closed, seems to be breathing fine (maybe a little fast), chirping, will drink if I do it by hand, but it just lays there... it's pooping just fine also. I don't know what's wrong, and the rest of the chicks are fine. During the day I let them roam outside, and at night i bring them in. Any help would be very appreciated!!

Welcome to BYC.
What temp is your brooder?

I would guess this sick chick is showing the beginning signs of Coccidiosis.
I personally would start Corid asap.
It's mild enough that it won't hurt if it is not Coccidiosis but if it is C, it could save its life.

CORID.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-08-05 at 9.14.17 AM.png

Using the "severe" dose.

In addition to treating for cocci, which can't hurt, have you checked its crop to see if it may be impacted? This is a common problem with chicks if they aren't getting access to grit and may be eating new foods.

Also, a chick can be constipated while still pooping, although the poops would be hard, small, and dry.

Oil would be the treatment for either condition.

Strange turn of events over night, chick is now acting 100% normal! Eyes are open, eating, drinking. I'm almost wondering if she is being bullied and became dehydrated from not being able to get water? Maybe?

Back
Top Bottom