3 week old chicks: Breed and Gender?

KevinJack

In the Brooder
May 26, 2020
I've had chickens for about 4 years now (Buff Orpingtons, White Ameraucanas, Rhode Island Reds); but, this is the first time that we've had chicks! I have my guesses on the breed, but please feel free to give me your thoughts on both the breed and gender of these six chicks (3.5 weeks old)! Thank you!

My guesses:
Biscuit, Nugget - Lavender Orpingtons
Popcorn, Waffles - Salmon Favorelles
Stubbs - Black Australorp
Cosmo - Silver-laced Wyandotte

Attachments

• Biscuit_1600.jpg
    Biscuit_1600.jpg
    382.7 KB · Views: 46
  • Cosmo_1600.jpg
    Cosmo_1600.jpg
    466.3 KB · Views: 40
  • Nugget_1600.jpg
    Nugget_1600.jpg
    338.5 KB · Views: 40
  • Popcorn_1600.jpg
    Popcorn_1600.jpg
    348.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Stubbs_1600.jpg
    Stubbs_1600.jpg
    428.6 KB · Views: 39
  • Waffles_1600.jpg
    Waffles_1600.jpg
    489 KB · Views: 33
Thank you for your insight FuzzyCritters! I'm curious how you made your determination (especially between Popcorn and Waffles). Is it the slightly darker feathers on the wing tips and tail? Thanks again!

Thank you for your insight FuzzyCritters! I'm curious how you made your determination (especially between Popcorn and Waffles). Is it the slightly darker feathers on the wing tips and tail? Thanks again!
The combs on those three are larger and more pink. Pullets should still have small, pale yellowish or pale pink combs at that age. Popcorn has a very bright pink comb, while Waffles still has a pale comb. Biscuit and Nugget both have large, bright pink combs.

I agree with your breed guesses. Salmon Faverolles have distinctly different coloring by gender, so that's what leads me to think Popcorn is a male. Check the bottoms of Stubb's feet. Yellow=likely Jersey Giant, black = likely Australorp. They're a bit young to know the genders of the others

Posting an update on the chicks - now 6.5 weeks old!

While I'm even more confident in my breed guesses, I think that I would re-guess their genders. Here was the original consensus on gender:

Biscuit - Cockerel
Nugget - Cockerel
Popcorn - Cockerel
Cosmo - Pullet
Waffles - Pullet
Stubbs - Pullet

Here is what I think now:

Biscuit - Pullet
Nugget - Cockerel
Popcorn - Pullet
Cosmo - Pullet
Waffles - Pullet