3 week old Speckled Sussex gender? UPDATE: 7 week old pics!

Pics
I will be interested to hear what you find out, too. I just got two 6 wk old chicks and one has an awfully large comb, especially in comparison. Of course, where I live no roos are allowed. I will post pics of mine, when I get some good ones. That will be my 3rd cockerel, so far, this spring-figures!
barnie.gif
I am very encouraged by donrae's thoughts, as she is quite knowledgeable and has been helpful sexing on BYC. I will tell you when my chicks chest feathers starting coming in, it has almost a totally white chest and also it's comb and more especially it's waddles seemed to get large so early. I did a lot of combing through pictures of SS chicks, pullets and cockrels, and they all seem to have very large comb and waddles. Heck, in my adult flock I have two Black Australorps from the same breeder, and one has a huge comb and the other one never developed hardly any at all. I think it can vary between breed too. For my chick, I am going on the long tail/rectangular body shape in praying I have a pullet.

Please post your pics, and someone may even chime in. Maybe donrae can give you some help. You deserve some pullet luck!!!!

Thanks for chiming in,
MB

These were my SS at 6 weeks.....

And this was them taken today at 18 weeks. They are standing in the same positions they were in the first shot, roo on the left, pullet on the right. Sorry his head is blurry - he spotted a fly!
WOW.. thank you so very much for these!!!!!!!! It really helps. This is one tricky breed to sex. From your pictures, I can really see the difference in the body shape that every one talks about. Your pullet has no comb to speak of at all! I swear I can only wait and see and hope. I love those speckles on your girl. Beautiful!

THank you!
MB

And a pullet photobomb for comparison...
big_smile.png
Certainly from these two it appears the comb is more developed than the other, but who can be sure? I am so wondering what will all these turn out to be. PLEASE keep us posted as I would be so curious to see. How old are these birds?

Thanks for posting!

MB

Oh wait.. I see you wrote 7 weeks. Lets all keep the info coming with updates and pics! THank you!

Last edited:
Sorry I am not sure how to post, so I am posting to this one. I was told my chickens were Buff Orpingtons when I bought them, as they have grown they look nothing like Buff Orps. they look a lot like Leghorns, my rooster could possibly be a cross with a leghorn , here is a pic of one of my girls and my rooster, tell what do you think. They are about 3 months old.

\

Back
Top Bottom