3 week Silkie chick attacked by my dog

So here is the update for today. "She" (I'm hoping) is doing very well. She is still in an enclosed space by herself but she is walking around and scratching without any limp that I can see. She keeps looking up at the top of the box like she is thinking of trying to get out or try and roost at the top.
I am hesitant on checking out the hurt wing. I don't want to make it any worse but I really would like to know how it is healing. I am just putting antibiotic ointment on it and not really extending the wing out. Should I do this to see if the wing is ok or should I leave it alone for now?
When I pick her up to love on her and doctor the area she doesn't resist or get freaked out like all the other silkies her age. That is why I am wondering if the wing is ok or maybe she is just a friendly chick

Try manipulating the wing a bit and see what she does.
Has the wound healed up?
If I understand, Silkies are not great fliers and normally don't even roost at night as adults unless the roost is very low. You may want to put a small block of wood or something in her enclosed space for her to climb on. See if she uses the wings to help herself up and down. Just a thought.

Try manipulating the wing a bit and see what she does.
Has the wound healed up?
If I understand, Silkies are not great fliers and normally don't even roost at night as adults unless the roost is very low. You may want to put a small block of wood or something in her enclosed space for her to climb on. See if she uses the wings to help herself up and down. Just a thought.
That is a great idea. The wound has healed, just a little scab left and I expect that to fall off any day now.
Thanks for the suggestions. I will do the small roost in there today. If everything goes well over the next few days I plan on re-entering her back with her hatch mates. Is this too early? I don't plan on putting her back in if she is showing signs of distress on the leg or the wing, but if she isn't, maybe Wednesday or Thursday put her back in. Thoughts???

Once you evaluate her and feel like she is healed enough to go back with the others you may want to use a "see-but-don't-touch" method or something similar. Place her in a sectioned off area, a wire kennel works well, in the run or yard where the other chicks can see her, but not pick on her. Since she's been separated from them for a while she is a "stranger" and will have to be re-introduced.
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/06/integrating-new-flock-members-playpen.html

Latest update. She is still by herself but we are planning on a see no touch approach tomorrow. She is running around her area chasing baby grasshoppers and chirping up a storm. I put a piece of wood in there with her so she could roost but she doesn't seem interested in it. I have seen her try and use the hurt wing but it really doesn't move like the other wing does. The area that was bleeding originally has heeled. Looks like I made my husband eat his words that she wasn't going to make it. He He He

Latest update. She is still by herself but we are planning on a see no touch approach tomorrow. She is running around her area chasing baby grasshoppers and chirping up a storm. I put a piece of wood in there with her so she could roost but she doesn't seem interested in it. I have seen her try and use the hurt wing but it really doesn't move like the other wing does. The area that was bleeding originally has heeled. Looks like I made my husband eat his words that she wasn't going to make it. He He He

Yippee! Glad to hear she is doing well. Sounds like she is ready for the re-integration process.

If she is able to run around and chase grasshoppers and move the wing, with seemingly no problems, then I think she is ready
smile.png

You did a good job taking care of her.

Last and final update...
She is back in with the rest of the group and I can't even tell that there was anything wrong with her in the first place. It is awesome to see her healthy and running around with her hatch mates.
celebrate.gif
. Thank you to everyone that took interest in my situation and gave me support. I have had nothing but support from this group and it is truly appreciated from this newbie.

Back
Top Bottom