3 wk old chicks died, Ideas?

Zootopia

Songster
8 Years
Dec 13, 2011
Abilene, Texas
I moved my 2 wk old out to the bigger brooder 5 days ago and all seemed good. Yesterday I found 2 dead this morning another. They are eating fermented chick starter and have dry available plenty of clean water w/ ACV , same as they have had since the were born. No one looks sick, no bad poops .
Any ideas?

That's a little young if they had no heat source, especially if the coop is breezy and/or there isn't a thick pile of hay or something similar to snuggle into. If you found them piled one on top of the other, this was probably the problem; the bottom one gets suffocated. It could also be cocci, which can kill so fast they never really get to the bloody poop stage.

That's just a couple of guesses. There is a great sticky on the Raising Baby Chicks forum about the many causes of young chick mortality. Here you go:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/39604/some-causes-of-early-chick-mortality

No they are in the feed shed which is really a closet off the garage, no drafts at all, had heat lamp. It has been very hot here so about 80 in the room as well. Laying at various places, chick starter is medicated.
Thanks for the sticky thread.

First off, I'm very sorry for the loss of your chicks. It's heartbreaking to lose even one.

Maybe there was something in the brooder that poisoned them or even cocci. I would disinfect and rinse out that second brooder really well before you add more chicks. Maybe the food went bad? I doubt you'll find the source.

I use oxine diluted and it's safe with no rinsing need to disinfect my coop and brooders. However you can not activate the oxine with the crystals(vitamin c I think).

We keep our chicks inside until all are fully feathered before heading out in the coop. 2 weeks is very young, they could of gotten cold at night.

The first brooder is in the house for chicks right out of the hatcher, then at about 2 wks we move them to the garage brooder to grow feathers, they don't go outside until they are fully feathered. We have never had a problem since the garage brooder is in the closet with no drafts, but it is unusually hot for this time of year, 90 yesterday. That's why I figure it was heat, tho they had plenty of water. I have brooded in there for several years and even the winter kids are cozy in there.

First off, I'm very sorry for the loss of your chicks. It's heartbreaking to lose even one.
Maybe there was something in the brooder that poisoned them or even cocci. I would disinfect and rinse out that second brooder really well before you add more chicks. Maybe the food went bad? I doubt you'll find the source.
I use oxine diluted and it's safe with no rinsing need to disinfect my coop and brooders. However you can not activate the oxine with the crystals(vitamin c I think).
We keep our chicks inside until all are fully feathered before heading out in the coop. 2 weeks is very young, they could of gotten cold at night.

We disinfect it well , so I doubt that the problem. Where can I get the "Oxine" I hear you can use it to wash eggs if I have to , like shipped ones that get yolk all over them.

You only can buy it online. I don't remember off hand where I got mine. I bought it last year and I use it very frequently and still have 3/4 of the bottle left. I also put it in their waterer to keep the bacteria down. I wash my eggs with them too before passing them out, always diluted with water.

It's worth every penny of it! I even disinfect my coop shoes.

Back
Top Bottom