3 wk with 3 days olds ok?

my1stchicks

Songster
11 Years
May 12, 2008
North FL
I was suppost to be sent 2 more ducks to replace the 2 that didn't make it on the 16th but now they aren't being shipped until the 23rd
barnie.gif
will it still be ok to put them with the one that will be 3 weeks old by then?

barnie.gif
I can't think of a way to divide the dog crate I have him in. Guess I better do some thinking and figure this one out.

From experience :

I had 3 three week old ducks and bought a 2 day old scovie - at first they picked on the baby a little bit but then it was stuck to them at the hip and I had no problems.

But then again depending on the number of bigger ducklings you have the young ones can get stepped on or picked on.

It took me a full 2 weeks to get Bungie and Uno to play nice enough to be left alone. Bungie was 4 weeks old and Uno was one. I had to start off with short visits and go from there. Mainly we were waiting for Uno to get big enough not to get crushed if she got stepped on.

1002728s.jpg

Thanks everyone I can always count on all of you for help and suggestions. Still am not sure what I'll do. Right now I'm thinking I may play it be ear and see how it goes with putting the 2 little ones in with my other one
fl.gif
Maybe the older one will be so happy to have friends he won't notice.

put them in and just watch. When i put my hours old mallard in with my 3 day old pekins...the size difference was huge. Imagine this...

I went up to the school before a halloween party. I was dressed as a beer maid...fish net stockings, low cut front...the whole getup. I was praying no one was at school...i can just imagine the security cameras...

anyways i come in to my room to take my baby out of the bator and into the brooder. By this time there were 6 pekins...the second i put the baby mallard in...they flocked to her and were pecking and stepping all over her. I was so scared that they were gonna do soemthing to her. So i put the baby in a box and one at a time put each pekin in to see her. By the time they all got to see her, she was old news. They just wanted to see what the heck she was, they were just so excited. I came back the next day and she was cuddled in sleeping with all of them. When i had my second mallard hatch...they already knew what he was so they didnt care. Now they are best friends...every now and then the mallards will get stampeded by the excited pekins, but they hold their own.

Id give it a chance. Put them in and watch them. You never know. How many 3 weekers do you have?

Back
Top Bottom