30 laying hens and only a dozen eggs a day

Aug 2, 2022
So I have around thirty laying hens, but I'm getting only a dozen eggs a day or so. I'm worried this could be a sign of some disease or am I worrying for nothing? It's August and I live in the lower midwest, could this be the weather?

Thank you for any replies

So I have around thirty laying hens, but I'm getting only a dozen eggs a day or so. I'm worried this could be a sign of some disease or am I worrying for nothing? It's August and I live in the lower midwest, could this be the weather?

Thank you for any replies
Mine are approaching molt. It's that time of year.

See if a little extra protein in their diet will help. Mine were eating their eggs. I thought they just weren't laying. I upped their protein by using all flock and provide oyster shell on the side. They quit eating their eggs.

If it is hot, they may stop laying. Their bodies will put more energy into staying cool.

It is close to fall moult, so you may have a few hens growing new feathers. The higher protein may benefit the moulting hens.

Did the decrease in eggs occur before or after the group of hens were sold?

Could you have sold some of your more productive birds?

Does the water get dirt kicked into it or does it stay pretty clean? Is it in an area that stays cool? I have a couple hens that won't even drink their water if it's been sitting in the sun. They are the picky queens of the group. Haha.

Just tossing some ideas around, hope something I've said can be of use to you 👍

So I have around thirty laying hens, but I'm getting only a dozen eggs a day or so.
Breed genetics and age both matter..

Many blue and brown layer will only produce 3 eggs per week., That less than 50% production.. Where as many young layers may pop out an egg a day regardless of color during their first season despite it not being in their long term ability.

Back
Top Bottom