37 chickens dead

I'm with purpletree...

So very sorry...
hugs.gif

Just wanted to add after seeing some more posts...I'm sure you are so upset...do not blame yourself! Not one flippin' person who owns a chicken can keep them perfectly secure at all times! OBVIOUSLY these things happen, you're not the first and you won't be the last..

Last edited by a moderator:
There is not much I can say that others haven't already...
just wrap your arms around yourself and hug... that's me, silent but understanding your heartache.
hugs.gif

I am so very sorry for this disaster to have happened. I can feel your pain, and there is nothing more to say about that. I am having some sorry pains for your hubby as well. You know he did not do this on purpose, and how sorry he must be.
I say pick yourself up, make a new plan and get some new birds. Is there another area that you can set up for the dogs? Even to letting them out a different door? Don't give up, never give up. Sending hugs.

Thanks everyone for your kind words. I wanted to say that at night, these chickens are securely locked up on a very large back porch on an extra house we have on our property. All these chickens were running together because none of them were of breeding age yet.

There is also a secure run. The fencing is hardware cloth and is covered by heavy duty avian netting to protect them from owls and hawks. The problem was that when my husband let them off the back porch coop area into the fenced in area, he forgot to relock the gate. He's not even sure if he shut it.

The dogs have seperate areas on our property no where near each other. The dogs can't even see the chickens where they are, although they can hear their crowing. The problem fence is the welded wire fence that my husband has for the dogs and the problem dog is our 10 month old husky who is a constant digger.

I just wanted to clarify that I didn't demand that my husband fix the fence after the last escape from these two. I requested that he do it, showed him the problem area where Sasha keeps digging and he said that until he fixed it, he would make sure she was on the run line because SHE's the digger.

After a huge blow-up a little while ago, I feel better, he feels like crap. I know that the dogs were only doing what dogs do. Especially because these two did it together. I doubt, and my husband agrees, that if they were alone, that this would have happened at all. But together, they're a pack.

I miss the crowing off all my babies. Its too quiet here now. Only my EE roo,Big Boss and my Mottled Cochin bantam, Popcorn are crowing now and its just so darn sad. At any given time I would have 5 to 7 roosters crowing from sun up to sun down.

After I nurse my wounds alittle bit more, I'll start to get new chickens. Right now, I still want to cry.

Laurie

Back
Top Bottom