3day old SS I just got today from Cackle

Toi-toi

Songster
9 Years
May 12, 2010
Central MA
I just received 17 SS from Cackle today.
Original order is 15 SS pullets then I received 17 SS. They are all healthy.
I noticed that one of my baby has developed wings already and has longer feathers than others.
A few of them has wings already but not noticeable. But this one is very different than others.
Do you think it's roo???

57324__2.jpg

It could be that this one was a day or so older than the others. It could just be developing at a faster rate. Cockerels general feather out allowed than pullets. Good luck with this waiting game,

My SS feathered out a different rates. Some had tail feathers rather quickly and walked around with the little 1/2 inch tail feathers straight up like "big wigs". They were so cute! Enjoy them, they get out of that stage way too quickly!

Quote:
That only will work if they are bred that way, as in a sex-link. A Rapid feathering Male (k+/k+) is bred to a Slow feathering Female (K/_^w) there offspring will be rapid feathering female (pullet) chick and a slow feathering male (cockerel) chick.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208

Chris

WOW, science stuff.... I don't understand but sound fun if I can mate and hatch own chicken!!
I can't keep all of them. Some of them are re-locating tomorrow to my friends.
Should I tell them that it could be a roo???

Quote:
That only will work if they are bred that way, as in a sex-link. A Rapid feathering Male (k+/k+) is bred to a Slow feathering Female (K/_^w) there offspring will be rapid feathering female (pullet) chick and a slow feathering male (cockerel) chick.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208

Chris

WOW, science stuff.... I don't understand but sound fun if I can mate and hatch own chicken!!
I can't keep all of them. Some of them are re-locating tomorrow to my friends.
Should I tell them that it could be a roo???

Tell them that it is rare for a hatchery to be 100% accurate when judging anything but sex link chicks, and that any one of them could be a male.

I got 5 straight run SS from Cackle back in May. By 2 weeks old, I was pretty sure I had 2 males and 3 females. By 5 weeks, I was positive. The males were slower to get their tail feathers (1-2 weeks slower), slower to get the "shoulder" feathers, and their combs started developing noticeably sooner than the females. When the chest feathers came in, the males were much whiter than the females. The only difference that I noticed in the wing feathers was that there seemed to be more white on the front feathers in the males, but that may have been coincidence since I hardly ever caught the females stretching their wings.

1week later....
6 of them has bigger wings and tail feathers then others are only have smaller wings.
Is it telling me they are different sex??? Oh I hope not....
If so, I have about half males/half females... I ordered PULLETS!!!!
I know they are not 100% accurate but not half of them....
My fingers are crossed!!

Back
Top Bottom