3week old chick has BLOODY poop! Help!

LadyinRed

Songster
10 Years
Sep 22, 2009
One of my ten three week old Buff Orphington chicks has bloody poop! I think I know which one but I only have one heat lamp! I've been a chicken owner for about five-six months and have no clue about what to do with this! The chicks were already quarantined away from my main flock.

Should I give them medicated feed or cut my loss and get rid of this one? I don't know for certain it is this one for any reason other than he 'huddles' under the heat lamp more than the others and doesn't run to the other side of the brooder as quickly, once up he acts completely normal.

Please help with this! I would prefer to not loose any, pictures coming.

Here is the photo of the poop that was under the chick when he moved. He is a little over three weeks old.

41661_img_3134.jpg

If one is showing symptoms all of them probably have cocci. I'd give all of them medicated feed, immediately. You can separate this one if you wish, but be very careful about cleaning up droppings immediately.

Last edited:
Within about 20 minutes the suspected one stopped moving around all together. He would just sit there huddled up. I hated to do it but I decided rather than have him make the others sick more than they may be already to cull that one. He's now in the plastic baggie heaven and the others which all act healthy are getting medicated feed.

Thanks guys for the fast responses!

I would clean everything in the area you are housing the chicks, spray bleach/water mix everywhere, including their feed dishes and water supply. If you don't attempt to radicate germs left by the ill chick, you will most likely have others with the symptoms very quickly.

Good luck and I hope that one chick will be your only sick baby!!!!

Back
Top Bottom