4 1/2 week old chicks - hot summer

jmac11

Chirping
Apr 2, 2023
Oklahoma
Question: I have eight 4 1/2 week old chicks that are quickly out growing their living space in the utility room. I took them outside yesterday, and they had the best time. They were out for 4 hours. Today they were out for 7 hours. Once the heat index reached 95, i checked on them every 30 minutes. I brought them inside around 2:30 because I didn't want to push my luck. The heat index was 103. They showed absolutely no signs of stress. They were in a safe, shady spot with a light breeze. How much heat can they tolerate at this age? Thank you

Four-week-old chicks can be comfortable in a little higher heat than adult chickens since they aren't yet fully feathered. But they still need ample shade and always-available water. Sounds like you have a good place for them. Continue to check on them often and use common sense as summer continues, and they will be ok.

Update: I gradually acclimated the babies to the heat. Our heat index reached 121 yesterday. I sprayed my runs down with cool water, ran fans, and provided my babies (7weeks) with an ice block. They are out full time now as they outgrew the utility room shower. Hopefully all continues to go well.

Back
Top Bottom