4 day old chick wont stop chirping

CrazyNes

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2023
So I hatched 3 chicks on Sunday and Monday of this week. The last chick to hatch might have a bit early. Egg had a lot more stuff in it then the other two. He finally fluffed up a bit but he hasn't been eating or drinking. I have to feed him sugar water and egg yolk through a syringe. Without the needle of course. It's not Friday and he doesn't stop chirping. I have a few other chicks I purchased as well to keep each other company. Total of 7 and all are fine. He/she is the only one to not make progress. See pics. I also noticed that the chicks doesn't really poop. Like it tries and it gets stuck so I've been cleaning it daily. Chick is still really small though. You can tell from the pic which of the 3 yellow ones is the smallest. Is he going to die? Help!

Attachments

• 20230331_144107.jpg
    20230331_144107.jpg
    616.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 20230331_144054.jpg
    20230331_144054.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230331_144036.jpg
    20230331_144036.jpg
    756.4 KB · Views: 14
Can you feed it a couple of chunks of hardened coconut oil? Put it in freezer to harden it up.

Also you can be use the same coconut oil to clean up it's pasty butt. I would also offer her yolk in the syringe .

So I have actually been giving her yolk and sugar/salt water through the syringe. For the last 4 days. She doesn't seem to be getting better. The fluff got better but the chirping is non stop until she sleeps. Brooder temp is always between 95-100. Other chicks are fine. She won't peck at her chick feed or anything else. When I have the syringe she does because I put it near her mouth and it trickles in. I have been cleaning her butt with warm water and a cotton swap. It gets cleaned up and then shortly after, pasty poop again.

Pasty butt isn’t just too cold, it can be from too much heat as well. Can the chick get away from the heat source and cool down if hot?

Too much sugar can cause pasty butt and digestive issues as well. Try dipping the chick’s beak in water every ten to 15 minutes to get them to drink. Also, short term, try some scrambled egg or finely chopped hard boiled egg. That will provide protein.

Epson salt solution will act as a laxative for the chick, it also helps relieve stress and helps relax the chick.

You may want to use an electrolyte and probiotic to help the chick out.

My chicks are two weeks old now and I had one that was not eating right and staying away from the other seven. I’m using a Mama’s Heater instead of a heat lamp. The chick was staying longer under the heater than the others. I used a small jar top, put some starter feed in it and placed it at the entrance to the heater. The chick started eating when it wasn’t being pushed away from feeder by the other chicks. I kept her separated for two days with her own feed and water with probiotics and electrolytes. After two days, she started feeding with the others and has just about caught up with rest in size.

Hopefully your chick can settle down, start eating and catch up to the others soon.

Pasty butt isn’t just too cold, it can be from too much heat as well. Can the chick get away from the heat source and cool down if hot?

Too much sugar can cause pasty butt and digestive issues as well. Try dipping the chick’s beak in water every ten to 15 minutes to get them to drink. Also, short term, try some scrambled egg or finely chopped hard boiled egg. That will provide protein.

Epson salt solution will act as a laxative for the chick, it also helps relieve stress and helps relax the chick.

You may want to use an electrolyte and probiotic to help the chick out.

My chicks are two weeks old now and I had one that was not eating right and staying away from the other seven. I’m using a Mama’s Heater instead of a heat lamp. The chick was staying longer under the heater than the others. I used a small jar top, put some starter feed in it and placed it at the entrance to the heater. The chick started eating when it wasn’t being pushed away from feeder by the other chicks. I kept her separated for two days with her own feed and water with probiotics and electrolytes. After two days, she started feeding with the others and has just about caught up with rest in size.

Hopefully your chick can settle down, start eating and catch up to the others soon.
Awesome. Let me try. She does have space to get away from heat if necessary. I'll try everything else you said though. I'll also cut out the sugar water for now.

I don't know if you ever solved this but a 4 day old chick with what you call a 'pasty butt' -was it pasted white? If it was it was more than likely salmonella pullorum. The chirping is, I believe, pain and is followed within days by bleeding from the vent. If you are having this, I didn't solve it when it happened to me but it spread through other chicks in the brooder. It can be transmitted in an egg unfortunately. However, a friend who had this problem successfully treated his chicks with baytril from his veteriarian.

@CrazyNes ... update on chick?
I usually go the ACV in their water for young chicks until I started fermenting feed.
Hey sorry for not updating. Sadly he didn't make it through the night. Woke up and he looked to be dead for a while. The other chicks were kind of walking on him. I had 2 out of 10 eggs hatch. Next time I am doing much better with checking Temps and humidity to ensure it matches the incubator. Se we ended up buying a few more baby chicks from Tractor Supply to keep the other 2 company.

Back
Top Bottom