Baby Chick won't eat or drink and chirps non stop

autsin

In the Brooder
Jul 24, 2023
I have a baby chick that needed assistance hatching a couple days ago. The first 2 days the chick had trouble standing up and walking but now it is fine but ever since hatching it hasn't been eating or drinking on it's own. We have to force feed it by dipping it's beak into the water and putting food in it's mouth. It's also started chirping non stop very loudly. What's going on with this chick and how can I help it?

I'm so sorry your chick seems unwell! You might get a faster/more responses on the injury/emergency section if you repost there.

How warm is your brooder currently? Is your chick trying to huddle with its hatchmates (cold perhaps) or is it all by itself somewhere in a corner (too hot)? Any poop stuck to its vent? Anything that looks like an injury below the vent (that's where the umbilicus attaches, and can become irritated or infected causing "mushy chick" I believe)?

For a struggling baby, you could try boiled eggs minced up fine scattered on the floor to encourage foraging. Seeing hatchmates eating it may help. If it can't be coaxed that way you could try giving egg yolk raw by dripping a little onto the side of the beak. You can water down the yolk too to get it to take it more easily.

I'm so sorry your chick seems unwell! You might get a faster/more responses on the injury/emergency section if you repost there.

How warm is your brooder currently? Is your chick trying to huddle with its hatchmates (cold perhaps) or is it all by itself somewhere in a corner (too hot)? Any poop stuck to its vent? Anything that looks like an injury below the vent (that's where the umbilicus attaches, and can become irritated or infected causing "mushy chick" I believe)?

For a struggling baby, you could try boiled eggs minced up fine scattered on the floor to encourage foraging. Seeing hatchmates eating it may help. If it can't be coaxed that way you could try giving egg yolk raw by dripping a little onto the side of the beak. You can water down the yolk too to get it to take it more easily.
I remember there was blood around the umbilicus area after I helped it hatch, maybe it could be mushy chick? What are other symptoms of it and how can I treat it?

I have a baby chick that needed assistance hatching a couple days ago. The first 2 days the chick had trouble standing up and walking but now it is fine but ever since hatching it hasn't been eating or drinking on it's own. We have to force feed it by dipping it's beak into the water and putting food in it's mouth. It's also started chirping non stop very loudly. What's going on with this chick and how can I help it?

I remember there was blood around the umbilicus area after I helped it hatch, maybe it could be mushy chick? What are other symptoms of it and how can I treat it?

Please post photos of the chick, it's belly, it's poop and the brooder.
Thank you!

What is the temperature of the brooder?

If you have Poultry Nutri-Drench, give the chick 2-3 drops twice a day.

Non stop chirping - this chick is unhappy. Too hot, too cold. Is it the only chick?
Does it stop chirping when you pick it up?

Baby chicks are like brand new human babies. They make a lot of desperate noise when they feel any discomfort.

Whether a baby chick or a baby person, the discomfort can range from being too hot or too cold, hungry or in pain.

Perhaps this chick could use a warm heated wash cloth wrapped around it like a burrito. Water and food you have covered, but I would take @CoopBoots advice about feeding finely minced hard boiled egg sprinkled on the ground at its feet.

Baby chicks are stimulated to eat and drink by the presence of other chicks. It works with all age chickens - to get a sick chicken to eat, give it a dinner companion. Baby chicks, especially, need other chicks to satisfy the need for being part of a brooding group for warmth, comfort, and self esteem.

Get some Poultry Nutri-drench. This more than anything can put a sick chick back in order.

Please post photos of the chick, it's belly, it's poop and the brooder.
Thank you!

What is the temperature of the brooder?

If you have Poultry Nutri-Drench, give the chick 2-3 drops twice a day.

Non stop chirping - this chick is unhappy. Too hot, too cold. Is it the only chick?
Does it stop chirping when you pick it up?
IMG_3158.jpeg
IMG_3159.jpeg

How is the chick doing now?
Have you been able to get her to eat/drink on her own?
The chirping has gotten slightly better as it's not constant but it still chirps a lot very loudly, I still don't think it's eating or drinking on it's own. It was alone for the first few days in the brooder but I got some new chicks in the brooder so I'm hoping it'll learn to eat and drink from them, but so far doesn't seem like it is.

Back
Top Bottom