4 day old chicks respiratory issue

belindaschicks

Songster
Jun 8, 2016
Noticed to tonight my chicks have a slight click raspy noisy In their breathing. Very slight. They have been in my wood work shop wondering if this is the cause. They are still active. Any thoughts how should I treat?

Cedar shavings give off fumes that irritate delicate chick membranes. First, what is their bedding? Cedar? If so, dump it and use pine.

What woods are you working right now?

Pine bedding coved with rubber shelf liner since they are only a few days old. It's an old wood work shop it has dust bin filled with all sorts of wood dust. Woods of all sorts on the sides. I'm not Currently using it. I did just move the brooder to a different room in the basement. I also gave each chick a drop of nutri-drench and gave them some grow gel. I know how some people feel about grow gel but my chicks liked it and it has vitamins and probiotics.

Last edited:
Does it smell musty in the wood shop? I'm thinking there could be mold spores in the air. But if any air currents move the fine saw dust around, that might be enough to cause the chicks trouble.

Hopefully, moving them to another room will help them start to breathe easier. You can use vaporizers with chickens. And misting the air with peppermint oil might help open their airways. You can use a spray bottle instead of a vaporizer if necessary.

If the chicks worsen, even after being moved, there's a terrific product called Oxine you can use in a mister to deliver a medicated mist that will kill mold spores in their respiratory systems and bacteria also. I bought some just to keep on hand in case I ever need it. It's also a strong disinfectant.

Pine bedding coved with rubber shelf liner since they are only a few days old.
Does it smell musty in the wood shop? I'm thinking there could be mold spores in the air. But if any air currents move the fine saw dust around, that might be enough to cause the chicks trouble.

Hopefully, moving them to another room will help them start to breathe easier. You can use vaporizers with chickens. And misting the air with peppermint oil might help open their airways. You can use a spray bottle instead of a vaporizer if necessary.

If the chicks worsen, even after being moved, there's a terrific product called Oxine you can use in a mister to deliver a medicated mist that will kill mold spores in their respiratory systems and bacteria also. I bought some just to keep on hand in case I ever need it. It's also a strong disinfectant.
Good to know I use oxine to clean their dishes and my large chickens coop. Love the stuff.

Back
Top Bottom