4 day old constantly opening and closing beak Help!!!

aishasn

Hatching
Mar 5, 2018
I incubated some eggs and got 6 babies. They were all looking fine the first few days but for the last two days one has been constantly opening and closing its beak, with its eyes close and laying on the ground. it is not eating or drinking and looks as if it is about to die. i desperately need help. Thank you!!

I've also just noticed that there is no feathers around its belly button and its umbilical cord is still hanging and none of the other babies have this.

Last edited:
I incubated some eggs and got 6 babies. They were all looking fine the first few days but for the last two days one has been constantly opening and closing its beak, with its eyes close and laying on the ground. it is not eating or drinking and looks as if it is about to die. i desperately need help. Thank you!!

I've also just noticed that there is no feathers around its belly button and its umbilical cord is still hanging and none of the other babies have this.
Umbilical cord? Pictures needed. Is it intestines or yolk? I hate to say it but prognosis is not too good. At best it might have an internal infection, from the sound of it. I have had a similar case.

When I had a chick last summer get into some contaminated soil, it did just as this chick is doing. When it reaches this stage, there is no chance of saving it because it lacks the bodily functions necessary for administering medical care. It's a very sad task, but I euthanized my chick, and I advise you do do the same and cut its suffering short.

here is a picture of it. It does seems to be swelling as none of the other babies have this. Is there any way to treat it at all?

Attachments

• IMG_4396.JPG
    IMG_4396.JPG
    10.1 KB · Views: 13
I agree with you all but i do not have the heart to kill it. My mum wont be home for at least 5 more hours but i do not want to let it suffer till then. What is the most humane and painless way for me to cull the chick?

Back
Top Bottom