4 day old ducklings sleeping on top of the warmer plate

Mayfiel511

Songster
5 Years
Feb 19, 2019
New Jersey
Hi,
My 4 day old Pekins and Jumbo Pekins are sleeping on top of the brooder warming plate. They used to sleep under it (my 6 appleyards still are, they are also 4 days old, though smaller) do my bigger ducks just not need the heat? I have it angled for varying heights but they seem to now cuddle up there and I'm worried they will get cold. Any thoughts? Thanks
Screenshot_20190412-225455_Video Player.jpg

I was using a Momma Heat Cave for my spring ducklings this year and it took them less than a week to hop on top of it and enjoy the view and the warmth from below. Ducklings in nature not only sit under their moms, but also hop onto their backs. And warmth from below is so relaxing:
full
that picture quacks me up! That little one sprawled out like that enjoying the warmth!

that picture quacks me up! That little one sprawled out like that enjoying the warmth!
I don't know if it is because of their black feathers, but on hot days the Magpie ducks still sit on the grass with both legs stretched out to the back. It may helps them to cool down. (?) They are the only ones to do this.

Back
Top Bottom