4 New Chicks 08/21/22

I went to pick out two laying hens, but there ended not being any and I got starry eyed and went for 4 two month old chicks. I really don't care about the breed, looks like I have an Ameraucana and poss three Wyandottes (crossed because they have blue legs...) anyway, the one I am concerned about is breathing through her mouth at the exhale. They are all very dirty, due to conditions, crowded and very muddy so lots of feather plucking I guess, you'll see red butt in the video. Their first drink of water with me had NutriDrench in it and have them on Grower Crumbles of 20% protein. Ate like the world was ending. Anyway, she's eating and they are all tired babies I guess, had an hour ride home. Here are pictures and a video of her breathing. By the way, I did soak her back end in water to rid some filth. Sat with her in the sun and toweled her. The third pix is her holding her wings out, maybe to dry? But she won't walk too far before she just sits, and the red one has such big feet, she (?) stumbles when attempting to scratch herself. note the bald butt....
IMG_20220822_105144354_MP.jpg
IMG_20220822_081255584_MP.jpg
IMG_20220822_081324695_MP.jpg

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xQCegbXTU3FMkB5Y8 (video)

She doesn't look sick, but chickens hide their illness very well. Might just be fatigued, anytime I got chicks they slept most of the first day. It's a great sign that they're eating.

The b vitamins will help boost any nutritional deficiencies.

he red one has such big feet, she (?)
I think you're correct with the fat legs.. quite possibly a cockerel. I don't see any wattles or comb confirmation for the stated age though.. so maybe it's just a really strong hybrid cross vigor??

Anyway, she's eating and they are all tired babies I guess, had an hour ride home. Here are pictures and a video of her breathing.
She's lethargic and sneezing.. I think there might be something respiratory going on.. more than just tired from traveling. Oh, watching the video.. looks like her eyes are foamy/bubbly also. :hmm

I would consider taking it seriously, but usually only offer nutritional support for a birds own immune system (which your's sounds already decent) however invite @Eggcessive, @Wyorp Rock, @azygous if they might have more experience with or better feedback than what I'm able to offer. (TIA)

The eating indicates the lethargy may not be caused by any coccidiosis.

The fun part.. I see what looks like 2 easter egger crosses, 1 Australorp cross, and possibly a speckled sussex, EE X.

That bare bumm and the condition of other feathers would have me using a permethrin based (horse fly spray) to treat any possible parasites.. while I understand the conditions were crowded and muddy.. I consider movement (and the stress thereof) from one property to another as good enough cause.

They're quite the lovely little group!

I hope they continue to thrive with you! :fl

I would make sure to quarantine these new birds for a month to watch for any more symptoms. The one with gasping, lethargy, and bubbles in the eye might have a respiratory disease. She may have been in less than a well-ventilated coop, and stressed from the move. I would make sure that she is drinking well, eating, and you could try some Tylan 50 given orally if you can find it in a feed store nearby. Tylosin, the generic powder is found here:
https://birdpalproducts.com/products/tylosin-powder-for-birds

I would check their skin carefully for lice or mites. Worming might help, or you could take some fresh droppings in to your vet for a fecal float. Valbazen 0.08 ml per pound or Safeguard 0.23 ml per pound are good wormers given orally. Repeat either in 10 days.

I think you're correct with the fat legs.. quite possibly a cockerel. I don't see any wattles or comb confirmation for the stated age though.. so maybe it's just a really strong hybrid cross vigor??

She's lethargic and sneezing.. I think there might be something respiratory going on.. more than just tired from traveling. Oh, watching the video.. looks like her eyes are foamy/bubbly also. :hmm

I would consider taking it seriously, but usually only offer nutritional support for a birds own immune system (which your's sounds already decent) however invite @Eggcessive, @Wyorp Rock, @azygous if they might have more experience with or better feedback than what I'm able to offer. (TIA)

The eating indicates the lethargy may not be caused by any coccidiosis.

The fun part.. I see what looks like 2 easter egger crosses, 1 Australorp cross, and possibly a speckled sussex, EE X.

That bare bumm and the condition of other feathers would have me using a permethrin based (horse fly spray) to treat any possible parasites.. while I understand the conditions were crowded and muddy.. I consider movement (and the stress thereof) from one property to another as good enough cause.

They're quite the lovely little group!

I hope they continue to thrive with you! :fl
I am so sorry, I rewatched the video on my phone and enlarged it, and saw no bubbles. I looked at the girls today real close and did not see parasites, but I did dump some fresh sand in the run for them because it seemed they wanted to dust. I spoke with the breeder, and she said to give terramycin (sp) but I am uncomfortable with that, and if it seems bad, I will go to the near DVM who specializes in poultry/birds and go with that. The breeder is really nice, and will replace if need be. Actually, she is ok this evening. We will see in the am, it will be 36 hrs at my place. They are quite the lovely group, agree!!!!

I would make sure to quarantine these new birds for a month to watch for any more symptoms. The one with gasping, lethargy, and bubbles in the eye might have a respiratory disease. She may have been in less than a well-ventilated coop, and stressed from the move. I would make sure that she is drinking well, eating, and you could try some Tylan 50 given orally if you can find it in a feed store nearby. Tylosin, the generic powder is found here:
https://birdpalproducts.com/products/tylosin-powder-for-birds

I would check their skin carefully for lice or mites. Worming might help, or you could take some fresh droppings in to your vet for a fecal float. Valbazen 0.08 ml per pound or Safeguard 0.23 ml per pound are good wormers given orally. Repeat either in 10 days.
I did check for mites, none. Gave them some fresh sand for dusting. I did have to submerge the bum of the one in question but sat in the direct sun for drying, and she preened herself. They were all so dirty. One has a nail missing and soaked her feet to rid of encrusted feces/mud. the really light one. Breeder said to put in with others.....huh, I know better than to stress out the whole gang, and know it is better to isolate, which they will be for the month. For Sure!!!! Thanks so much!!!!

Back
Top Bottom