4 new older pullet chickens will not roost inside the coop with the other 11 chickens at night

slheier

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
received 4 pullets from a neighbor that was moving. After they were integrated into the existing flock of 11 they are still the odd 4 out and get run off from food etc. They have been inside the chicken coop and up on the roosts but at night they do not go into the coop and stay out in the big enclosed yard they have. I have a tractor run attached to the coop and was thinking of adding some roosts in there to keep them out of the big yard at night. Not sure they will ever go into the coop with the other 11 chickens. Since it is getting cooler (live in AZ) was hoping they would go inside to stay warmer but have not seen that. We do have an automatic door on the coop that closes 60 min after sunset. will they ever be totally integrated into the flock? attached a picture of my coop/tractor run and enclosed area for the chickens. Tractor run is behind the red XL coop.

Attachments

• chickencoop.jpg
    chickencoop.jpg
    732.7 KB · Views: 4
I have two automatic feeders that hold 30 lb of food each so they can get to those when the other chickens are not around. The tractor run has two water systems and the outside large area has one. not sure I could catch them to put them in the coop at night. Thanks I will add more roosts in the tractor run to see if I can encourage them to go in there at night.

If you wear a headlamp and don't shine it on the pullets, you can catch them at night since they can't see in the dark. I use this strategy to do health night check to make sure there is no lice, mites, injuries, etc.

received 4 pullets from a neighbor that was moving. After they were integrated into the existing flock of 11 they are still the odd 4 out and get run off from food etc. They have been inside the chicken coop and up on the roosts but at night they do not go into the coop and stay out in the big enclosed yard they have. I have a tractor run attached to the coop and was thinking of adding some roosts in there to keep them out of the big yard at night. Not sure they will ever go into the coop with the other 11 chickens. Since it is getting cooler (live in AZ) was hoping they would go inside to stay warmer but have not seen that. We do have an automatic door on the coop that closes 60 min after sunset. will they ever be totally integrated into the flock? attached a picture of my coop/tractor run and enclosed area for the chickens. Tractor run is behind the red XL coop.
I wouldn't worry I have chickens that grew up together and 5of them still don't roost with the rest they just do there own thing

Back
Top Bottom