4 week old duckling acting funny, holding head different and Shakey.

Waddlewoods

Chirping
May 8, 2023
Hey! I'm worried about one of my 4 week runner ducklings.

Went to the basement tonight to tend to them and they had all managed to escape their pen. I had last tended to them about 5 hours ago and all was well.
I put them back in their enclosure and noticed one was acting funny. Not excited as usual, sitting alot, head shaking/bobbing, neck bending a bit more when standing/not standing straight, jumpy and it looks like his neck is a bit bigger than the rest.

Could it have ate something when exploring the basement? Maybe it got hurt? Help please! I've separated for a bath which he wasn't interested in really. Just floated there. He took some food and a drink. Currently just snuggling him.

See video in a reply farther down the thread.

Last edited:
Hey! I'm worried about one of my 4 week runner ducklings.

Went to the basement tonight to tend to them and they had all managed to escape their pen. I had last tended to them about 5 hours ago and all was well.
I put them back in their enclosure and noticed one was acting funny. Not excited as usual, sitting alot, head shaking/bobbing, neck bending a bit more when standing/not standing straight, jumpy and it looks like his neck is a bit bigger than the rest.

Could it have ate something when exploring the basement? Maybe it got hurt? Help please! I've separated for a bath which he wasn't interested in really. Just floated there. He took some food and a drink. Currently just snuggling him.

I have a video but can't seem to figure out how to post it
I hope some other people can help you with your duck but to post a video you need to post it to YouTube or one of the other approved media sites.

This is how he stands... wondering if he hurt his neck?

Attachments

• 1000008605.png
    1000008605.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
I believe so. Since day 1 I've added a vitamin mix to their water and nutritional yeast to their food. Does this look like symptoms of niacin deficiency? He seems to be ok on his legs although today he mostly sits.
Is he getting enough niacin in his diet?

Back
Top Bottom