4 week old Salmon faverolle not thriving

egbertclan

In the Brooder
Jul 9, 2022
My chicks are 4 weeks old, they’re each a different breed, but the sf, these past 2 weeks, seems to not be thriving. She just likes to lay down. She’s the smallest now, which she wasn’t for the 1st 2 weeks and some of her wing feathers are missing (I’ve been watching for bullying but I’ve seen her pecking at the spot on her shoulder). I took her out of the brooder to see if she walks fine and she does. Won’t run around though, but goes after the meal worms and eats them. I spoon fed her water with vitamins and electrolytes today. I also researched coccidiosis and took pics of her poop, which isn’t bloody. I don’t know what to do or think about this girl named Mocha. Any advice is appreciated. FYI the brooder is in the kitchen and they’ve only been outside twice and that was the past 2 days. There’s 5 chicks and 2 ducklings together and they’re all the same age. Mocha is the small yellow one in the pics image.jpg 26A68BA2-086E-4BA3-BCBA-38D3B836104A.jpeg F814CB63-1A31-498A-9FB6-5072AEEBB07C.jpeg DC9EEE4C-6FC5-4F16-B01C-ED8CDECDB699.jpeg FA99DE28-0450-476B-90DB-E7926DA1F90F.jpeg

I spoon fed her water with vitamins and electrolytes today. I also researched coccidiosis and took pics of her poop, which isn’t bloody.
Welcome to BYC! :frow

Sorry your SF is seeming runty. what are you feeding including treats and supplements on a regular basis.

Is she eating and drinking on her own? Are you providing grit? Is her crop emptying over night (or are they kept in light where they feed through the night)?

Only 1 or 2 of the 9-11 strains of coccidia known to effect poultry will actually present as blood in droppings.. all other may remain undetectable to the naked eye.

Welcome to BYC! :frow

Sorry your SF is seeming runty. what are you feeding including treats and supplements on a regular basis.

Is she eating and drinking on her own? Are you providing grit? Is her crop emptying over night (or are they kept in light where they feed through the night)?

Only 1 or 2 of the 9-11 strains of coccidia known to effect poultry will actually present as blood in droppings.. all other may remain undetectable to the naked eye.
Thank you! They have access to they’re good through the night and have a heat lamp at night. I feed them IFA organic chick feed, mealworms on occasion and their water has vitamins and electrolytes mixed in that I bought from the hatchery.
I figured there was more to coccidiosis then the usual symptoms so I came here to the experienced lol

I would assume she’s eating on her own because today is the first day I hand fed her mealworms and water. I wanted to make sure she’d even eat and drink, which she did

Give her some egg yolk or scrambled egg, mix vitamins in foe a boost. Continue with electrolytes and vitamins in water. Don't give to much meal worms (one or two a day broken into little pieces will be okay) make sure she eats her food and give her chick grit. Make sure her crop empties over night

Give her some egg yolk or scrambled egg, mix vitamins in foe a boost. Continue with electrolytes and vitamins in water. Don't give to much meal worms (one or two a day broken into little pieces will be okay) make sure she eats her food and give her chick grit. Make sure her crop empties over night
I make sure the crop gets emptied by taking away the food during the night I assume? What will too many meal worms do? She ate more than that… And what is chick grit? Is it different than her food? Thanks

I make sure the crop gets emptied by taking away the food during the night I assume?
Yes
What will too many meal worms do?
If she eats to many she will be full and not eat the nutrients she needs from food/egg and that's not good. Think like a kid eating to much candy and spoiling their appetite.
She ate more than that… And what is chick grit? Is it different than her food? Thanks
Chick grit is like adult grit just smaller for chicks. It's small pieces if usually granite that grinds food in the gizzard. If she is eating anything other then her chick food she needs chick grit.

My July 1 chicks included 2 SF. I lost one right off and the other seemed smaller than the rest of her group. she would just lay around as well. She would run when I wanted to pick her up (silly girl.) She is doing so much better trying to catch up in size with the rest of the chicks. Lastly, I noticed when I brought them to the outside brooder a few weeks back she would hang back while the others ate. I added two feeders, and she got right in to eat. Now she is a skippity jazzy little girl. Still thinks I'm the monster from the sky and won't let me catcher her.

Back
Top Bottom