4 weeks old RIR and Barred Rock - male or female?

Shantia

Hatching
Mar 27, 2015
Here are pictures of my 3 chickens. All 4 weeks old. Can you tell if they are male or female? Thanks a lot!

This is Lady. Iʻm hoping this can stay "Lady". Sorry only one picture at this moment. She/he didnʻt want to pose for me.

This is Penny.

And my only Barred Rock, Pi. My husband and I are thinking this can be a male.

Not sure on sex, leaning towards hens only by lack of facial color and not big combs. However, your red birds are production reds not RIRs. It will be easier in a couple weeks to tell sex.
ETA: you can, compare leg sizes of the chicks. Cockerels will have thicker, stronger legs.

Last edited:
Not sure on sex, leaning towards hens only by lack of facial color and not big combs. However, your red birds are production reds not RIRs. It will be easier in a couple weeks to tell sex.
ETA: you can, compare leg sizes of the chicks. Cockerels will have thicker, stronger legs.
I agree. Also the dark barring of Pi says "pullet."

Penny looks to be a pullet, but I am leaning roo on the other 2.

Four weeks is too early, and PR's and BR's can have precocious girls...but I'd watch those two...that's still substantial comb for 4 weeks, although the BR looks darker, and it has dark leg wash, but Hatchery stock often don't follow the general guidelines on BR's.

If those combs starting getting red in them, I'd be even more worried.

Time will tell.
LofMc

Last edited:
Penny looks to be a pullet, but I am leaning roo on the other 2.

Four weeks is too early, and PR's and BR's can have precocious girls...but I'd watch those two...that's still substantial comb for 4 weeks, although the BR looks darker, and it has dark leg wash, but Hatchery stock often don't follow the general guidelines on BR's.

If those combs starting getting red in them, I'd be even more worried.

Time will tell.
LofMc
I agree.

Not RIRs? No wonder they looked different from other RIR chicks when I went back to a farm store for more chicks. Mystery solved! Thank you!!

They looked like this when they were 1 week old.

And this is my other RIR, Beanie. She is almost 2 weeks old in this picture. (Sorry, a back shot)

Thank you everyone! It's good to know Penny is most likely a girl. We will see if other two are girls or not. I can't keep boys where I live so I should mentally prepare for the possibility of good-bye.

Back
Top Bottom