43 eggs on day 21, one pipped and one hatched

No, but I will next time for sure...mark the cells...I think this guy drowned. I have 9 eggs left , some with pips but no hatching signs.... leaving them for a bit. One was born with wry neck, but all the others seem pretty good. so far about 75% hatch rate....
Here's some good reading about hatching.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...incubator-thermometers-and-hygrometers.73634/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-beginners-guide-to-incubation.73350/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/incubation-humidity.73386/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...gs-no-problem.1046313/page-5385#post-16540512

Yes.

First, are you counting the days correctly? That's a common mistake. An egg does not have a day's worth of development when you first put it in the incubator or under a broody hen, it takes about 24 hours for it to have a day's worth of development. So when counting days you say "one" the day after you start. An easy way to check your counting is that the day of the week you set them is the day the 21 days are up. If you set them on Friday then the target day is Friday three weeks later.

But the 21 days is just a target. For many different reasons the eggs can be early or late, two full days early or late isn't that unusual. Heredity, humidity, and how and how long the eggs are stored can have an effect. If the incubator is running a bit warm or cold they can be early or late.

With all this, is it normal that they will do something to upset you and get you concerned? Absolutely. It happens all the time.

It sounds like yours are just starting. Come back same time tomorrow and give us an update. I think you will be more relaxed than you are now. Hope so anyway.
Okay, so 35 out of 43....not too bad but the ones left in the shells drowned for sure...will keep a close watch on the humidity next time. two of the 35 have stargazer chick...like really bad..they can't even walk without rolling over backwards. I've been feeding them poultry vitamin sup since yesterday with an eye dropper...any other ideas? They look perfect otherwise?

Okay, so 35 out of 43....not too bad but the ones left in the shells drowned for sure...will keep a close watch on the humidity next time. two of the 35 have stargazer chick...like really bad..they can't even walk without rolling over backwards. I've been feeding them poultry vitamin sup since yesterday with an eye dropper...any other ideas? They look perfect otherwise?
Did you incubate eggs from your own flock?

If so, it is best not to use pullet eggs, as the ratio egg yolk to albumen is unfavourable and chicks easily drown in the overabundant albumen that is left at the end of the incubation period.

The same (overabundant albumen) can happen when the parent birds have been fed too much protein during the time of hatching egg collection.

Did you incubate eggs from your own flock?

If so, it is best not to use pullet eggs, as the ratio egg yolk to albumen is unfavourable and chicks easily drown in the overabundant albumen that is left at the end of the incubation period.

The same (overabundant albumen) can happen when the parent birds have been fed too much protein during the time of hatching egg collection.
It's weird, I bought two batches from two different local farmers....one was a batch of Americanas, and the other Golden Laced Wyandots....almost 100% of the Americanas hatched with no issues. The Wyandots are awful...they were sticky, some drowned and two of them have stargazer. I don't think I'll buy from that farmer again. Any ideas on how to treat the stargazer? its really really severe....I'm feeding them poultry vitamin water from a dropper but not sure how long they will survive on just that...can I mix some starter with water and try to feed? FYI, they were all incubated together.

Any ideas on how to treat the stargazer? its really really severe....I'm feeding them poultry vitamin water from a dropper but not sure how long they will survive on just that...can I mix some starter with water and try to feed?

You can try Vitamin B1 and E which should help with the issue.
And yes, you could mix some starter with the vitamin water or try some freshly scrambled eggs /crumbles).

As it seems, the Wyandottes parent birds were fed the wrong diet.

You can try Vitamin B1 and E which should help with the issue.
And yes, you could mix some starter with the vitamin water or try some freshly scrambled eggs /crumbles).

As it seems, the Wyandottes parent birds were fed the wrong diet.
Thanks will give it a go

For a first time with that incubator that hatch rate is good. Nothing to be ashamed of at all. When they are doing well the professionals get a rate of about 90% when you count it as eggs in the incubator to chicks out. Use it as a learning experience.

I can't help you with wry neck, never had it. It's caused by thiamine deficiency but you can google it as well as I can. For them to hatch with a vitamin deficiency does imply the parent stock were probably the problem.

Back
Top Bottom