4h Cochins

sarah4hchickens

Chirping
Jan 4, 2020
Is anyone here knowledgeable about Cochins and can tell me if these 10 week old pullets could have any potential for 4h and possibly state fair? One is mottled and one is black. They both have yellow feet. Also they are being lent to me from a local breeder.
602D6617-5466-4689-8CC1-12C7ACAFC87A.jpeg
0CD61C09-C075-4AE9-9AAC-DC7764C6F9E0.jpeg
D89452B1-0F8A-40F4-950D-0DF5080FDB6F.jpeg
64E9BB25-DD77-4681-BC8B-E4B9E30E15C5.jpeg
7E2C9F0B-0D68-496E-A644-16DA4696BCA5.jpeg

Hi! They look like very nice birds!

Sarah i am wondering on your location as of that may influence if there will be county or state fairs this year.

Also are these bantams or standard size? I do have a bantam standard and can help you with the cochin standards from there but i only have a bantam because i mainly show bantams.

Is this you first time showing for 4h?
If yes if there is a county fair i would bring them no matter there quality because you can learn a lot and talk and meet some great mentors there that can help you.

If you have any questions about showing poultry or 4h feel free to pm me because i am very passionate and active in that community.

@sarah4hchickens a pullet that still has patterning to come in may not show their full colors until 5 months of age. I had what I thought was a black cochin cockerel, hatching last May, and by August it started showing silver on its neck. By October the whole neck and back were silver. Totally different compared to its 10 week coloration.

I've raised mottled cochins and that pullet looks like it could do well, but it's kind of hard to tell at this young. Things will still change but I'm sure at around 20 weeks you'll know for sure about coloration. As far as I know with mottled chickens, their feathers will molt and there is a possibility that they'll come back differently, so maybe a feather black in appearance will grow back predominantly white afterwards. Mottled chickens are cool like that, like a living work of art. Only time will tell it seems, but I'd say that it looks pretty promising at this stage so far. Hopefully that potential is reached by show time.

Back
Top Bottom