4th Annual BYC NYD Hatch-a-long

I recently received two shipments of eggs.
Ordering egg shipments in Winter is a risky business.
I live in Wisconsin and the temperatures range at this time from -3 - 30 degrees.

One shipment contained hand warmer and the box arrived with the eggs room temp.
I have no idea what the temp in the box was at time of shipping. The eggs cooled to room temp for 24 hours.
(Two eggs with large cracks not set)

One shipment did not contain any heating help.
That box arrived ice cold and was put on the truck for door delivery. The eggs felt frozen yet did not sweat when left out for 24 hours.
(4 eggs smashed and not set). Darn!

Both sets of eggs were packed beautifully.

Both set of eggs were stored with fat end up in cardboard egg cartons for 24 hours. The cold eggs were checked often for signs of sweating. It took 12 hours for the cold eggs to even feel slightly warm. I lined the bottom of the egg cartons with paper towels to absorb any moisture.
I handled the eggs with gloves to reduce risk of bacterial infection.

I checked for cell placement on arrival and at time of setting the eggs. Cell placement on most of the eggs did occur. Out of three and a half dozen eggs, only 5 have cell issues. I have 40 eggs in the bator.
fl.gif

Wish me luck on this experiment!

Yeah, I had a dozen BCM arrive, PO left them in the snow. Bottom two eggs were frozen, all the eggs felt so cold. 5 started to develop, 1 is still with us, will see in a week if it hatches.

Just ordered in some heat packs, both for eggs and for shipping out corn snakes this season (yes, I raise those, too). Ordered some foam shippers 3 weeks ago, but haven't heard a thing from the seller during that time.
somad.gif
Good thing I wasn't counting on them that week or anything. Sheesh. Sent out a "what's going on" email this week. Grumble.

cluck-cluck

putting it on newspapper would dry it out too fast. You could try wet paper towels until you make some bags. They need to be rinsed daily and kept damp, not wet. You can use an old sox for now too. Put the seeds in and rinse it daily. it willl take about 4-5 days to have a nice tail.
Oooh Tay! Will do! I should use one of my son's disgustingly dirty socks that I can't clean for the life of me, LOL.
My peeps have outgrown their brooder! Eeek! Now I have to figure out how to house them until it's nice enough outside for them. It's much too cold out to put them in the barn at this point.

Cuteness overload!!! Oh man, they're adorable!

I recently received two shipments of eggs.
Ordering egg shipments in Winter is a risky business.
I live in Wisconsin and the temperatures range at this time from -3 - 30 degrees.

One shipment contained hand warmer and the box arrived with the eggs room temp.
I have no idea what the temp in the box was at time of shipping. The eggs cooled to room temp for 24 hours.
(Two eggs with large cracks not set)

One shipment did not contain any heating help.
That box arrived ice cold and was put on the truck for door delivery. The eggs felt frozen yet did not sweat when left out for 24 hours.
(4 eggs smashed and not set). Darn!

Both sets of eggs were packed beautifully.

Both set of eggs were stored with fat end up in cardboard egg cartons for 24 hours. The cold eggs were checked often for signs of sweating. It took 12 hours for the cold eggs to even feel slightly warm. I lined the bottom of the egg cartons with paper towels to absorb any moisture.
I handled the eggs with gloves to reduce risk of bacterial infection.

I checked for cell placement on arrival and at time of setting the eggs. Cell placement on most of the eggs did occur. Out of three and a half dozen eggs, only 5 have cell issues. I have 40 eggs in the bator.
fl.gif

Wish me luck on this experiment!
What is the experiment? To see if shipped eggs will survive being shipped to Wisconsin? Or? I sure hope you get a great hatch!!! Wish I lived somewhere where I could really dig in and raise a bunch of birds for eggs and meat, etc... it'd be so awesome!

It is an experiment of using warmer during cold weather versus not using a warmer. I have heard so many different opinions and strong ones at that too. It will let me know if I can recieve eggs safely in winter or ship eggs safely in winter. Next winter I would like to ship out eggs.

UGh my owner showed up unexpectedly and says he has been getting complaints about the birds so they have to go.
duc.gif
. I have talked to anyone close enough to be able to hear them and they all say they dont have a problem
he.gif
, I wish people woudnt lie to me . Im not a agressive or angry person Im always quite and polite they have no reason to say one thing to me and one thing to someone else.
Uncle Dave will take the quail. So now Ineed to find a home for the button quail and the chickens.
That is sooo awful. Do you have roos? Can you just get rid of the roos? Hens are certainly not that loud.

I also had some eggs sent to me..like this! It's cold here, but these eggs were in perfect condition, and not icy cold!

There was bubble wrap on the top too.

Candled them 24 hrs later when the bullseye gets larger if things are starting up..they
were in all but two that I wasn't sure of! She sent three extras. Candling tonight to see
if I can see any veining..dark eggs, going to be hard to see anything soon..so I like to
candle on day 5.

It is an experiment of using warmer during cold weather versus not using a warmer. I have heard so many different opinions and strong ones at that too. It will let me know if I can recieve eggs safely in winter or ship eggs safely in winter. Next winter I would like to ship out eggs.
Oh, I see! Actually, now I think I remember your saying that, LOL Brain could use a little bit of a tuneup, you know what I mean? Along with my knees! LOL
I also had some eggs sent to me..like this! It's cold here, but these eggs were in perfect condition, and not icy cold!

There was bubble wrap on the top too.

Candled them 24 hrs later when the bullseye gets larger if things are starting up..they
were in all but two that I wasn't sure of! She sent three extras. Candling tonight to see
if I can see any veining..dark eggs, going to be hard to see anything soon..so I like to
candle on day 5.
What an amazing idea!!!
clap.gif
If you don't know what that is, it's pipe insulation which you can buy at the hardware store! We bought some to put on our hot water pipe under our house because in the winter the water would get so darn cold by the time it reached the back bathroom. It has a radius cut to the center so you can just wrap it over the pipe, or in this case, open it up to slip eggs and packing peanuts in! If ever I sell eggs, this is what I'm going to do!
thumbsup.gif
I can't imagine anything getting hurt in there! I hope you have an excellent hatch, good luck with your hatch!!!!
fl.gif

silkies from BHep are getting big!!
one of them (up front) isnt getting feathers on her poor vaulted skull, which looks funny. lol!
My sultans looked like that for the longest time. I think around 4 weeks they started to have a crest come in. Those two are so adorable, they look like squirrels with their cheeks stuffed 'cause of those muffs! How sweet
celebrate.gif

Today my babies are 3 weeks old as they were born 2 days early ;) Here are some pictures!!!

I love the little one's beak marking! It's so cool!

It's hard to show the curl in the big one's feathers, they just don't catch the light to show what it really looks like
he.gif

I think I have two roos here?? definitely the sizzle but wondering what you all think of the small one on the left? Roo? These are Serama chicks??

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom