5 Day Old Chick Not Doing so Well!

Azarin

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 28, 2011
Hey guys! I just got my shipment of 10 chicks not too long ago. One was dead on arrival, and all others seemed to be alright. However, one of the chicks seems to not be doing so well as of today.

A few of the symptoms:
- She simply sits there, doesn't move around too much even when I pick her up. She does run a bit when I place her outside the cage.
- Eyes closed
- Doesn't seem to poop much, poop is black when she is able to go
- Does not eat at all
- Does not get up to drink on her own, only drinks water when I drop it nearby her (she seems to like little dribblets of water)

Is there anything I can do about this? Or is it simply internal? I figured I might as well ask! Thanks much guys!

If any clarification is needed don't hesitate to ask!

Maybe she got overheated during shipment? Pick her up and dip her beak in the water. You can add electrolytes, sugar , and vitamins to the water for her. Try feeding her some mashed boiled egg. Good luck.

On Monday, I received a total of 7 all different breeds; 1 died during the 1 day travel. I have the same symptoms going on with my golden laced polish chick. She had a little bit of pasty butt & I cleaned it off, dried her well. You might want to check your chick's behind. I gave her a couple of drops of agave from a medicine dropper yesterday afternoon & sent my husband for Poly-vi-sol without iron. When I checked the temperature, it was 90. May be just a little too cool for her, but the others have been doing fine. I set the heat just a little closer to the brooder. She seems to be improving slowly this morning. I tried to separated her from the others to keep from being picked on, but she began peeping loudly and was wanting to be back with the crowd. She is warmer now and still peeping, but not as loudly. She started pecking at her food again and actually walked over to get a drink of water about and hour ago. I sure hope our chicks pull through.

Back
Top Bottom