5 day old chick with sudden crooked neck

Krystalbelanger

In the Brooder
Apr 1, 2018
Milton
I have looked on several spots on here and have an idea what it is but have never experienced this so I don't want to assume I am right. She cant hold her head up well but is eating and drinking some. I think it might be wry neck but wanted other opinions. If so, I live in a small town and cant get any of the suggested vitamins. I was going to go to tractor supply and get one of their vitamins tomorrow if wry neck is the problem. Please help. First time dealing with something like this.
I raise chickens as pets so I am really hoping I can save this little girl. If not I have read how to do the co2 euthanize method. Any feedback is really appreciated. This isn't the first experience I have had with chickens but these are the youngest chicks I have had.

Attachments

• 20180401_211022.jpg
    20180401_211022.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20180401_211034.jpg
    20180401_211034.jpg
    314.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 20180401_211046.jpg
    20180401_211046.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 8
Don't you have a pharmacy in town? Walmart? Health food store? You need vitamin E oil at least 400iu. That is the one essential vitamin necessary for curing wry neck, and it's a shame to cull when it's so easily treated. Do you have any neighbors, friends or relatives who might have some vitamin E oil?

If you do need to cull, sharp scissors to sever the head is far more humane that the CO2 method which suffocates. It may be easy for you, but hard on the chick.

I went to the only walmart in towm and they said the shipment of vitamin e comes in tonight or tomorrow night. How would i give it to the chick? Like i said these are the youngest ones i have had.

Her name is Bonnie. Putting her down is only an option if its going to be misery on her to live. The fiance loves his dogs, I love my chicks. I read that the vitamin e works best with selenium and i dont know the best method to administer that either.

It's easy. Just break open the capsule and squirt it on a half teaspoon of the chick food. You can shave off a sliver of the selenium and dissolve it in a tiny bit of water and drop it onto the chick food with the E. Make sure the chick eats all the food before you let it have any more. And be sure the E is 400iu, not less.

This works in just a few days to correct the imbalance. You shouldn't need to treat longer than a week.

I started giving her vitamins. She seems a lot more energetic and was eating and drinking. I just went to check on her and her neck looks worse. She seems really lazy right now also. Is the something that gets worse before it gets better?

No, I've never heard of wry neck getting worse before it gets better. If she's fading instead of getting better, there may be something else going on.

Chicks easily get constipated and that's something that could be coincidental to the neck issue, totally unrelated, but still very serious. If this chick continues to fade over the next hour, I would try to get some coconut oil into it in case that's what's going on. Wry neck doesn't make a chick fade.

No, I've never heard of wry neck getting worse before it gets better. If she's fading instead of getting better, there may be something else going on.

Chicks easily get constipated and that's something that could be coincidental to the neck issue, totally unrelated, but still very serious. If this chick continues to fade over the next hour, I would try to get some coconut oil into it in case that's what's going on. Wry neck doesn't make a chick fade.
I wanted to say thank you for your help. Despite the supplements and hand feeding and watering we lost Bonnie yesterday. I think wry could have been one of her many problems but it definitely was not the only. You were so helpful in trying to get us through this though. I felt I needed to tell you thank you.

Back
Top Bottom