5 Day Old Duckling Help - GI Distress

jennybvcr

Songster
Apr 4, 2018
Connecticut
I came home from work to find my Cayuga didn't seem like she is feeling 100%. I will list the symptoms and what I have done. If anyone can offer advice it would be appreciated. My other Cayuga didn't make it during shipment so I really REALLY don't want to lose Sonia Duckstoyevsky!

The first two symptoms I noticed were that she was shaking her tail and leaning back like she was going to poop and nothing came out. She was also paying a lot of attention to her vent area. She was drinking water and still socializing normally. Then I noticed she seemed like she was sleepy - eyes closing as they will with tiny ducklings - but she wouldn't lay down like the others. She was trying to prop her chest on top of one of my Harlequins so she didn't have to lay down on her belly. When I was hand feeding the two Harlequins, she wasn't interested, although she would go over and drink water.

I washed her vent area with a warm washcloth and after that she had a completely liquid movement. Thinking this might be a good sign, I put her in a warm bath for a few minutes. She also had a liquid movement there, and then several others after I got her back into the brooder.

Once back in the brooder she did eat some from my hand and drank some water. She still won't lay down on her belly and she is only having liquid movements.

So ideas on what might be going on? Advice on what to do? I can go to TSC tomorrow and get any supplies I might need. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated - as I said before I already lost her hatch mate and would be so sad to lose her. She's my tiniest duckling so I feel strongly about her!

Awe. Poor thing. Did all of the ducks ship together?
If she is drinking a lot, she will have more liquid poops. Maybe make a mash for her with water and feed - maybe she is not eating enough and filling her belly with water?
I am sure someone else will pop in soon to give you additional advice.

She was plugged up...Keep an eye on her butt...

Can you give me anything more than keep an eye on her butt? This is my first go round... not sure what to do or look for more than what I've already done. When I got home from dinner she wasn't pooping again so I wiped her butt and she did a liquid poop. Any suggestions on helping her get unplugged?

Can you give me anything more than keep an eye on her butt? This is my first go round... not sure what to do or look for more than what I've already done. When I got home from dinner she wasn't pooping again so I wiped her butt and she did a liquid poop. Any suggestions on helping her get unplugged?
Vaseline her butt/vent....

Thanks, all. I went to TSC this morning and picked up some probiotic powder to add to their water, made a mash of their food and added a bit of olive oil, picked up some chick grit and a bottle of nitro-drench in case of an emergency.

She seems to be doing a little better today - her poops are still small, like it isn’t all coming out, but there is some color/solidity to them so I’m hoping whatever was in there is breaking down and starting to pass.

Just keeping an eye on her and my fingers crossed.

Man I know I'm not supposed to play favorites, but Sonia is my favorite! She got the zumies last night, ran all around, and then threw herself down flat on her belly beside her sisters. I guess she's feeling better!

Back
Top Bottom