5 day old poult listless

Nagynaggles

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2018
Michigan
I have 15 poults that are 5 days old. All but one appear to be in excellent health. The one is just laying on the floor swaying back and forth. I cannot get it to eat or drink. Should I seperate it from the others to prevent it infecting the others? Other sites tell me to cull it. Any advice would be appreciated.

At that age I wouldn't be so worried about it being able to infect the others so much.
It sounds like it may just be a failure to thrive.

Since it's not eating on it's own, if you don't tube feed it, or do something similar (not even sure what would be considered similar) it will die.

Tough decision.
:hugs

I have been trying to get it to drink using a medicine dropper and made a mash of the feed with water and still cannot get it to eat or drink. It finally pooped a really watery stool that was brown tinted. Still laying there lethargic. It cannot walk, just hobbles around. I found it laying upside down on its back and turned it over. Gonna try feeding it again in a little bit.

I have been trying to get it to drink using a medicine dropper and made a mash of the feed with water and still cannot get it to eat or drink. It finally pooped a really watery stool that was brown tinted. Still laying there lethargic. It cannot walk, just hobbles around. I found it laying upside down on its back and turned it over. Gonna try feeding it again in a little bit.
turtling is not good.. put it in a cup so it can't flip over... I would give it a drop or 2 of nutridrech https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/nutri-drench-poultry-4-oz in the mouth

upload_2019-3-3_15-55-32.jpeg

Picture by sdodum BYC of a chick chair with food/water

Back
Top Bottom