5 days on Tylon and still sick

refugeranch

In the Brooder
Nov 16, 2015
I recently aquired 5 birds from a local breeder. All of them appeared healthy and were placed in with my existing flock after a few days (never again). 2 weeks passed and the weather shifted. We had 4 days of rain and cold temps, and my run was under water. I noticed all of the newer birds were not inside the coop, so I would take them in and pin them up at night. The birds came down with sniffles and I tried to treat the whole flock with antibiotics in the water, but they just drank the rainwater instead. I finally checked each one for runny noses, wheezing, gurgling sounds, and brought those birds inside. I got them dry, treated them for mites, and started them on Tylon @ 1cc twice a day. When they were wet, I could see that their food sacs were all empty. Apparently, thy are not being allowed to eat. I am feeding them layer pellets, oatmeal, omega 3, flax seed, banans, and sunflower seeds to try and help them recover. 2 of the 4 have recovered nicely and are back with the flock. The last 2 were doing better 2 days ago than they are now. They are struggling to breathe.

What do I do now? I brought them back inside and am just not sure what to do. I am so new at this. I knew nothing about chickens 2 months ago, a d I have had a crash course in what not to do when purchasing hens.

Hi, maybe add vitamins / electrolytes to their water as this helps to boost the immune system - particularly important if its a viral infection.

Good luck

CT

PS - i had a similar problem a few weeks ago - 1 day after quarantine sniffles began - very annoying!

I will try. They soundIke they have pneumonia. Very wet breathing. 4 birds were sick. They all started recovering on Tylon, but 2 regressed after missing a dose. The other 2 are fine and back to normal. I am just hoping that they need a few more days of TLC and antibiotics to get better. 1 of the remaining birds has some spots on her comb that looks like dry fowl pox. So, I suspect that she is just sicker than the others were.

I will try. They soundIke they have pneumonia. Very wet breathing. 4 birds were sick. They all started recovering on Tylon, but 2 regressed after missing a dose. The other 2 are fine and back to normal. I am just hoping that they need a few more days of TLC and antibiotics to get better. 1 of the remaining birds has some spots on her comb that looks like dry fowl pox. So, I suspect that she is just sicker than the others were.

Welcome to BYC! Are you giving the Tylan orally? If so, you could try giving 1/2cc per pound twice a day and see if that helps. If they have pneumonia from something like E. coli, you'll need a different antibiotic.

-Kathy

I have been injecting the Tylon into the beast muscle. I don't have a chicken friendly vet. I am not sure what antibiotics they will need to recover. I am hoping for the best. They responded well to the Tylon at first. I just ran out of syringes and they relapsed. Fingers crossed. Thanks for the info. I would have rather not had to inject them, but wasn't sure if Tylon could be used orally.

Back
Top Bottom