5 females 2 drakes? UPDATE!

Thanks! I have decided to go ahead and get the new trio of 2 females and one drake. I am hoping it won't be a large fight, my one drake is not an aggressive breeder he's still young so I guess will see how it goes!

Wish me luck! Hope I won't have to get rid of one of them!

Well I can say from my experience, since my drake I have now and the one that vanished a few weeks ago
sad.png
, were raised together and we had only 3 females they did just fine never fought.

Now we will see what happens with a totally new guy coming in!

Until the babies on my porch are bigger, I have 2 Mallard drakes, 2 Pekin drakes, and 3 Mallard ducks.

Malcolm Mallard has chosen all the ducks for himself. He fights with Melvin Mallard to keep him away.

However, the Pekin drakes are allowed to totally have their way with the ducks, and never fight with anyone.

I am new to ducks, but I can tell you, they have their own rules. Whatever you expect, they will do differently. In my opinion, fewer drakes and more ducks are the best way to go!

I have been told by a person who spent entire collage education planning on opening a duck hatchery. He has been up and running for 33 years now so I believe him when he says he knows his stuff! Anyway he said in a flock under 10 it is fine to have a equal amount of hens and drakes. I have 4 and 4 now with no problems other then they may run each other in circles a little, but no real fights. Over 10 in a flock it should be 3 hens for every 1 drake. I hope this helps.

as someone already said, the girls are the ones that end up fighting! LOL. it does depend on the individual drakes, but sometimes they will get along.

I started out with 4 call ducks , ended up being 2 male 2 female.. everything was good. At a yr old a racoon took one of my girls thru the chain link (day fence)
hit.gif
I got 2 adult females , which I never wanted adults as to raise them myself but had to so Omlet would not be overmated , kept them in the same pen seperated by a fence for a couple days put them all together ( i went to work , the hubby refereed) and within a half hour they were pretty much okay and within a week good.. I also had gotten 2 day olds babies I raised at home for a month , put them in the same pen as the 5 adults but seperated by the fence.. they have been around each other for 2 months...(1 ended up male 1 female ) Just this week we let them all together my alpha drake is NOT liking my new boy at ALL>.. and it really really sucks !!! Smudge ( younger drake) is way bigger than Holeshot ( alpha) so at least he can get away from him...they pretty much leave RIOT the younger female alone (right now anyway)... I still seperate them at nite !!!!!!!!!!! I HATE IT TOOOOO... I pray they will all get along .. and I also do not want more and have to go thru this.... Yes, IM A WIMP !!!!

Back
Top Bottom