1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

5 hens together, only 2 laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by QChickieMama, Oct 1, 2011.

1. QChickieMama

QChickieMama Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oct 1, 2011
    We bought these 5 pullets at the same place at the same time. The 2 RIR are laying every single day and have been for 6.5 weeks. The others are 2 Plymouth Rock and 1 black sex link or something (looks like RIR w/orange on it). Those 3 have not grown out their combs or wattles yet. 6.5 weeks is a long time to wait. I've read the reasons a chicken won't lay, but these are all together. Same food, water, chicken tractor, environment, etc. THey're quite large, the PRs. Considering making soup if we can't figure this out. Ideas?

2. DebbieDee

DebbieDee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Boise
    Be patient.You may have gotten them at the same time but they are different breeds....I'm waiting for 3 girls to mature too. They are 16 weeks. My Leghorns started laying at 16 weeks so I was hoping these other 3 would too.Soon I'm sure...

3. QChickieMama

Oct 1, 2011
    Here's the Plymouth Rock one that's huge and hasn't grown out her comb & wattle yet.

[​IMG]

4. smkchick

smkchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2011
    Lawnguyland
    OOOOHHHHH MAMA! What a beauty!!

[​IMG]

Here's my Barred Rock. Think she'll ever catch up?

[​IMG]

5. QChickieMama

Oct 1, 2011
    Cute!

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Different breeds and even individual within breeds of all species mature at varying rates. The three non laying pullets just have not matured.

7. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Quote:Ditto! My laying 24 week old barred rock has a lot more comb than yours does.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by