5 silkies questions on gender and breeding

Is there a name for crosses for me to do research, they would be silkie roo x white leghorn and silkie roo x black astrolrop. whos traits would they take more of? temperament? feathering?
I don't know, I never looked for those particular crosses.

But both crosses will have solid feathering, crests, maybe 5 toes, beard, if the roo has one, feathered feet. Females black skin, males white skin though.

Is there a name for crosses for me to do research, they would be silkie roo x white leghorn and silkie roo x black astrolrop. whos traits would they take more of? temperament? feathering?
Most chicken crosses do not have special names.
Silkie crosses are fairly common, so you can probably find some threads by searching on this forum.

Silkie crosses tend to look much alike, no matter what the other parent is. Silkies have dominant genes for crest, 5 toes, feathered feet, and sometimes beards. The other breed contributes the dominant gene for normal feathers. So the chicks all have those traits.

Crosses with black chickens of any breed tend to produce black chicks. The exceptions are when you get white, blue, or chocolate, or when you get white barring on one of those colors.

Crosses with White Leghorns almost always produce white offspring, no matter what color the other parent was.

Most chicken crosses do not have special names.
Silkie crosses are fairly common, so you can probably find some threads by searching on this forum.

Silkie crosses tend to look much alike, no matter what the other parent is. Silkies have dominant genes for crest, 5 toes, feathered feet, and sometimes beards. The other breed contributes the dominant gene for normal feathers. So the chicks all have those traits.

Crosses with black chickens of any breed tend to produce black chicks. The exceptions are when you get white, blue, or chocolate, or when you get white barring on one of those colors.

Crosses with White Leghorns almost always produce white offspring, no matter what color the other parent was.
This has been insanely helpful. Thank you. Only other thing id wonder is if there is a size difference that is noticeable.

Only other thing id wonder is if there is a size difference that is noticeable.
From what I've read, some crosses come out midway between the sizes of the parents, while some others come out much closer to one parent than the other.

I even read of one case where someone crossed two bantam breeds and the chicks grew to be standard sized chickens.

So I can't predict for sure what will happen in your case, but medium sized seems more likely than any extreme sizes.

Back
Top Bottom